- Outside Cover: 1989 Motor Trend Car of the Year Artwork
Back Cover: Artist’s sketch of a prototype ’89 Thunderbird
This artwork is compliments of Pat DiPersia
- Inside front cover: Three photographs of Arizona Highway Patrol Super Coupes
and a Turbo Coupe with a SC engine. These photos are compliments of Mark
- From The Birds Nest, by Bill Evanoff: Helpful hints and warnings about
running non-premium fuel in your SC. How to find your "octane" spout/plug. A
review of the Top 25 Fastest SC list. A review of the Spring 2000 car shows
the SCCoA will be attending. New Midwest chapter coordinators. Letting Ford
know about head gasket failures. Chargin’ Thunder back issues. New club
- The Ladies’ Corner (The value of hobbies), by Patty Evanoff: Patty discusses
the benefits of having a SC/XR7 as your hobby vehicle. Any SC/XR7 nut should
show their spouse this article before buying one to show the hidden benefits
of supercharged ownership.
- SC Club of the Mid-Atlantic Region Report, by Pat DiPersia: Pat shares what’s
new and what is on the ticket for year 2000 members of this active chapter.
- Florida Mini-Meet, by Brad Klein: Despite the snow falling up north, the
Florida guys are in their shorts during their January meet. Brad shares the
excitement of their outing and four photos are included showing the great
- Motor Oil 101, by Michael Taliercio: This in-depth four page article by the
owner and president of an oil change company offers the novice and seasoned
expert a unique look at this often discussed topic. A MUST read!
- Frequently Asked Questions About Using Nitrous Oxide, by Wayne Ing: Wayne
shares his years of nitrous experience with members in this five-page article.
Virtually every "How", "Why", "What", "Where" (and more) question you would
ever have is answered in-depth. Wayne spells out exactly what is needed to
make your SC run trouble free while being feed this addictive gas. He shares
what must be beefed up and upgraded in order to insure a successful
application. He also shares what type of quarter mile improvements can be
expected with different nozzle sizes. Another MUST read for anyone
considering this cheap and HIGHLY effective modification.
- Rear End Gear Changes (The Best Bang for the Buck), by Rick Cunningham: Rick
walks us through the modifications he performed on his 5-speed and AOD
equipped Super Coupes. Each vehicle has received new rear gears and he
performed the swaps himself. He shares his personal experience with this
modification in a how-to type format.
- Solid Rubber Engine Mount Install Procedure for 3.8L SCs, by Christopher M.
Iarocci: This 13 step how-to walks you through this sometimes difficult
procedure. Christopher is a mechanic who has performed this install on
numerous SCs/XR7s and he shares his shortcuts and tricks for a successful
- Injector Swap, by Charles Markman: Charles shares another how-to on changing
your fuel injectors. He goes into extreme detail which no shop manual can
- SC-YA in Tulsa 2000, by Glenn Huber: The Super Coupe Club of the SouthWest is
hosting a SC meet on April 7 – 9, 2000 in Tulsa OK. Glenn offers a first
class invitation and shares what is planned.
- Bitten by the Bug, by Pat DiPersia: Pat shares his summer outing at Pocono
raceway with a group of Mazda Miata Club members. Pat obviously ate a lotta’
Miata during his weekend adventure. If your planning a road racing outing
yourself, be sure to read Pats write-up before you attend.
- My Love Affair with my Super Coupe, by Clifford Jolley Jr.: Clifford’s
mistress is his SC. His wife knows it, and thankfully accepts it. This Ford
Motor Company dyno Engineer shares how he came to own a SC and walks us
step-by-step through his choice modifications. Clifford has dynoed his car
after each mod. and he shares what works and what can be expected with each
- Mustang Bolt Pattern Changeover – 13" Cobra Brake Installation, by George
Davenport: Have you ever wished your car stopped on a dime. George has, and
he walks us through a how-to on what is necessary to install the 13" Cobra
brakes onto a Super Coupe. Surprisingly, it isn’t too involved to perform
this swap and a detailed parts list is include with exactly what the purchase
- My Wedding Day, by Geoff Strang: Geoff shares what happened on his wedding
day. Typically one doesn’t attend a drag strip after you get married, but
Geoff did and he explains all the fun and quarter mile action. He gets the
girl AND the car of his dreams!
- So You Want To Go Racing, huh?, by Mike Puckett: NASCAR racing from your
desktop. Mike shares the fun he has with computer racing simulators.
- Lincoln Technical Information Exchange, by Paul Cornell: Paul is the editor
of the TIX newsletters and shares with everyone what has been happening in his
life since the TIX newsletters stopped a few years ago and shares his new
passion for finding the ultimate 4-door performance sedan. Will it be new
- Multiple and Simple Regression Analysis for 3.8L SC/XR7s, by Ron DiPaola:
This was a MBA project for Ron and he shares with everyone the relationship
between time and MPH variables and ¼ time. This analysis can be used by
anyone to make accurate estimates on what their supercharged car will run.