PDA

View Full Version : ABS motor

sccrewzer
06-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Does anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for the ABS motor or do we have to buy the whole unit? Just bought a 90 SC the abs pump does not power up, the anti-lock and brake light stays on any ideas?

Mike8675309
06-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Start with the ABS relay. A good electric motor shop can typically repair the electric pump motor within reason.

the-big-e
06-02-2008, 08:57 AM
You can also run some jumper wires to the motor to see if it will run.....

I've had quite a few pump motors re-built.....

My DD needs it done to her.....:rolleyes:

Sometimes the main shaft seal leaks brake fluid into the motor housing and corrodes the insides and bearings until it locks up....

backtobirds
06-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Mine did the same thing with the lights. Turned out to be a bad accumulator. To test, pump the brake pedalwith the ignition off, until the pedal gets rock hard (20 - 30 pumps). That should discharge the accumulator. Then when you turn on the ignition, the motor will run to recharge the accumulator. If it doesn't run (and you've already checked the relay), jump 12 volts to the motor. If it works your problem is in power supply; if nothing, the bad motor.

If it does turn out to be the motor, I have the pump off of my '90, brand new accumulator on it too. I junked the car as it was all rusted out, and the ABS pump is just holding the floor down right now.