Crazy Problem! Any Ideas?

jjm983

I have a 89 SC with 45k original on it, she has been sitting for awhile and it seems like everything is going bad from lack of driving. Just last month I replaced the MAF, IAC, bolth o2 sensors, and plugs, wires. because it was having trouble at idle and it would die out every now and then at a light. It was running better after the tune up but it still has a rough idle and makes a putting sound out of the exhaust. I was just going to live with that but in the last couple days while driving it the idle would start bouncing up and down and when you pushed the gas it would drive like you were pushing the pedal up and down. The only way to get it to stop doing it was to turn the car off and restart it. It is really hard to restart after it happens also. and when it does finally start after 3 or 4 turns it runs great but the tach will not work for about 2 minutes. It has done the exact same thing 3 times now with no engine light! ANY IDEAS??

Sounds like you have a similar problem as I did a couple of years ago. My problem was intermittent making it hard to solve. Finally it was diagnosed as a faulty cam sensor. Perhaps you problem is a cam sensor too. I have not had any problems since.

but also a cam sensor going bad would throw a CEL. But it does sound like a cam sensor but how gout the DIS modual or the crank sensor or coil pack? yes eletrical is tricky it sux as well but pacence is the key.

but also a cam sensor going bad would throw a CEL. But it does sound like a cam sensor but how gout the DIS modual or the crank sensor or coil pack? yes eletrical is tricky it sux as well but pacence is the key.

my cam sensor went bad without throwing a code and did the same things yours is doing. put a new cam sensor on and havent had the symptoms for about 8 months now.

go to autozone and grab a new cam sensor, its only like $40. cheaper than a new coil pack or DIS.

im willing to bet 90% its a bad cam sensor. (btw its located under the supercahrger snout and kind of on top of the water pump. i think its 2 5.5mm bolts and a connector, thats all)

I agree with Thunderkid84 for 40 bux and 20 min you could have your problem solved. As far as the DIS its located on top of the A/C pump a flat grey module. These are pricey new if you re and re the module have some dialectric grease with you too as you need to clean old stuff off and put a new coating on when re-installing.

My mistake that should be heat sink compound under the DIS module. Dialectric grease for the spark plug boots.

cam sensor

ok i replaced the cam sensor and it seems to be running good, I'll just have to wait and see if it does it again. By the way I just found out last week that im getting laid off so I have decided to sell my SC, Its a nice car with 46k original miles on it let me know if you want it! im in Nebraska. Thanks guys!

Back