help with rough idle-please

NATES93S/C

I am having a problem with rough idle-intermittantley-when the car is in drive or reverse- not in neutral. I had read elswhere that the bolt on the upper plenum tube to the alt bracket , when missing can cause problems as this.The bolt is in fact missing - probably went missing when the alt was done- and just wondering if any one can confirm this- or should i look elswhere

tyhanks in advance

Nate

It is possable that the missing bolt can cause the IC tube seal to break and cause a vacuum leak......

A set of teflon IC gasket will help.....

It is possable that the missing bolt can cause the IC tube seal to break and cause a vacuum leak......

A set of teflon IC gasket will help.....

would that cause an"intermittant"? problem. For example- if i punch the throttle- it seems that i can readjust the position of the ngine- and clear the idkle issue- temperaraly. Since the bolt/stud is missing- and ford cant seem to help me with the proper hardware for this area- ie, wasgher bolt/stud and size?? this is where the upper ic tube meets the alt bracket- 93 s/c

thanks again

cheers!!~

Your motor mounts are probably worn out and letting the engine move around quite a bit......

This could create a leak at the upper IC/tube connection......:rolleyes:

Installing a set of IC tube gaskets can rule out any leaks from that part of the system.....

But I think you might have a problem somewhere else.....:(

Your motor mounts are probably worn out and letting the engine move around quite a bit......

This could create a leak at the upper IC/tube connection......:rolleyes:

Installing a set of IC tube gaskets can rule out any leaks from that part of the system.....

But I think you might have a problem somewhere else.....:(

Is it rpossible that the missing bolt is causing eratic idle-?? And can anyone inform me of the bolt used in the area i am referring to-

also- the mounts are fairlt new- about 2 years- i hope its not the mounts again as these babies arent cheap - or easy to change

n

That bolt in my cars is mysteriously missing, they are a pia to get to and since my motor mounts are good and I also know I have a good seal (I use "right stuff" black silicone works for me)
You can also take a can of wd40 or equivalent to check the area in question, I would probably do as Ed said and check your motor mounts as they will also make getting your oil filter a bear to get off and on when they go bad.
Its probably a matter of personal opinion as to the bolt that goes to the alt bracket whether to keep it or toss it, that will probably have to be your decision
As I said all mine are missing theirs but everything else is in a1 shape that affects the ic

S

please say it aint so- :( not the mounts again??. If ANYone has had the same shiz happen to them- other areas to check first would be great help- i would rather not change if not nessasary- is there a way to check them to be sure- with out taking it to a shop to get raped by

Its easy to check them , all you have to do is get someone to watch the engine as you put it in gear (while holding the brake) and goose the throttle a little and look for abnormal engine shift.
There are other possibilities to your problem such as dis,wires,plugs, crank sensor etc. are you getting a check engine light ? if so get the codes read. Whens the last time you changed the fuel filter? Have you checked the fuel pressure, and is it acceptable? Alot of little things can cause your problem but from what your describing I would almost bet on a vacuum problem, be it in the ic area or elsewhere.

S

Its easy to check them , all you have to do is get someone to watch the engine as you put it in gear (while holding the brake) and goose the throttle a little and look for abnormal engine shift.
There are other possibilities to your problem such as dis,wires,plugs, crank sensor etc. are you getting a check engine light ? if so get the codes read. Whens the last time you changed the fuel filter? Have you checked the fuel pressure, and is it acceptable? Alot of little things can cause your problem but from what your describing I would almost bet on a vacuum problem, be it in the ic area or elsewhere.

S

and you believe this can cause irratic idle ; )- man i hope thats all it is. Can i get some recommendations on what to use to resal the tubes-

thanks again

Back