93+ spindles upgrade ?

Payton

I am going to upgrade my front brakes to PRB's, so want to make sure I have all parts needed and have no suprises during the upgrade. So, I've done some search and there are few things that I couldn't find answers for:
- I have spainless steel brake lines. Are they different for 93+ cars?
- Wheel ABS sensors, would I have to change them as well?

Thank you
Dzmitry

I just did this last month. I swapped my 1990 hubs and ABS sensors on to the 93+ spindles, you will need new retaining nuts if you reuse your hubs (as they are good for one time use ONLY) and need torqued to 250 ft./lbs. The brake lines are different between years, because the hard line fittings have different threads. Get the lines for your model year.

Yes & Yes. Remember to use a 3-jaw puller to move the ABS Ring on the hub closer to the outside. Be careful when doing it, it wont go flush but you should have a mm or 2 to spare.

I didn't move my ABS ring on my hubs. I was wondering if the ABS would work because the tip of the ABS senor is about halfway across the ring when I swapped them. But I know the ABS works because someone pulled out in front of me last nite and the ABS kicked in and did its job.

Last edited:
Buy the lines for the year of your car. So if you have a '90 buy the lines for a '90. IF you have a '90 and you buy the lines for a '93 the brake line fittings will not match the factory hard line fittings.

Is it neccecary to use the 93+ spindals for this upgrade?

Yes, it is necessary to swap to 93+ for any brake upgrades for the 89-92 SC. The mounting attachments for the brackets are different.

Excellent, looks like I have all I need for the upgrade!
thanks for your help and time guys!
Dzmitry

I have a few related questions. I have the spindles and hubs from a 93+ car. Why not just use those hubs and negate having to move the ABS ring?

In dissasembling the spindles, I broke one of the ABS sensors (*#$@8). Are they costly? Any issues with installing?

I am going to have the spindles, caliper brackets, dust shields and related hardware chromed. I want to do the hubs as well. Will this affect the function of the ABS ring or should I remove it prior to coating? How do you remove the bearing from with the hub. I have tried putting a little bit of pressure from both ends with a press with no movement.

Ok, Flex, I've got some answers for you.

I think that you can use the hubs from the 93+ without moving the ABS ring. Moving the ring is necessary if you are swapping to Mustang hubs, as the Mustang ABS sensor rides in a different spot.

The ABS sensors are costly. I don't know if you can even get them from Ford, but I think that you can get them from Raybestos et al. Check RockAuto.

Also, I have heard that the wheel sensors are difficult to remove because they tend to rust/freeze in the spindle bore. You should be able to press it out using a small, deep socket (sized just big enough to go around the sensor and just small enough to clear the spindle hole) and a large C-clamp.

The front hubs are supposed to be sealed. IE, the bearings aren't designed to come out. I don't know how chroming will affect the function of the ABS ring and wheel sensor. It is easy to remove the ring with a 3-jaw puller, but it is a little fragile, since it is only aluminum. So putting it back on might be hit or miss.

Good luck to you!

The older sensor is ok to use. I was going to use the ones that where on the '94's spindles I got, but as it turned out I would also have to rewire the sensor plugs, as the newer style where different.

Frit

Back