shaking around 70 mph

pipecraze

My car shakes between 70-80 and I can't figure out why.

I've just replaced:
upper and lower contol arms
Front end links
Outter tie rod ends...inners still tight
strut rod bushings at the control arm...at frame still tight.
Engine mounts
KYB shocks are about 4-5 years old
New tires just put on a week ago...balanced and alignment done
Steering rack was replaced about 3 years ago with new bushings, they don't look in great shape though

I've purchased all new rear bushing but haven't put them on yet. Shaking feels like its from the front end though.

It also makes somewhat of a clunking noise over uneven pavement. After everything that I replaced I wasn't too happy to hear that!

I have a feeling that the clunking noise is related to the shaking at highway speeds but not sure.

I was planning to get the tires rebalanced but before I do that I thought I'd hit you gus up for ideas on either!

i work at a tire shop and we get alot of cars shaking, go get them rebalanced and if you can watch them do it, i know some of my friends will get lazy and just hammer the weights wherever they want so it looks balanced!!!

Check your tail shaft of your trans. 4R70W`s tend to have the tail shaft bolts back out. Also have you ever removed your drive shaft? If so you might need to rotate it 180 on the pumkin. Try switching your back tires to the front.

Thanks for the ideas thus far! I'm going to check out the tail shaft tomorrow and post back! Any other drivetrain ideas! I've had this prob with both the new and old tires!

What do you guys think of this. The ring on my harmonic balancer is loose...I think one of the bolts fell out. It's def not balanced now...you guys think that could cause the shaking. I have a BHJ but have yet to install it!

I may take the car out tonight, get it up to 70, then put it in Neutral....see if the shaking goes away when the rpm's drop....that would rule out the tires.

if the bolt broke on the balancer broke i would not drive it, you could snap the crankshaft, i would get that new balancer on asap

The center bolt is fine. I think one of the small bolts that holds on the ring came out. The ring is loose.

if the bolt broke on the balancer broke i would not drive it, you could snap the crankshaft, i would get that new balancer on asap

that may be your problem,agreed with above post.also have you checked out the u-joints on driveshaft for any play in them.

It also makes somewhat of a clunking noise over uneven pavement. After everything that I replaced I wasn't too happy to hear that!

I have a feeling that the clunking noise is related to the shaking at highway speeds but not sure.
Check/tighten the subframe bolts. Also, I trashed a set of cheapo end links in less than 2 days of track work. :rolleyes: Don't assume that they're any good. Check the condition of the endlinks/lower ball joints by putting a jack under the LCA and raising it up to where its at normal ride height. Then wedge a breaker bar under the sway bar, where the end link attaches, and inth the spot where the shock mount to the LCA. Grab the breaker bar and pull up with all you've got! Nothing should give at all. That should help you find your clunk. :cool:

Last edited:
Check rims

Keywords: I've had this prob with both the new and old tires! So that is ruled out but I'd check to see if any of the rims maybe bent?

Also if you go back to get re-balance ask them to do the Harmonic Balance not just a regular speed balance!!

Tom

Keywords: I've had this prob with both the new and old tires! So that is ruled out but I'd check to see if any of the rims maybe bent?

Also if you go back to get re-balance ask them to do the Harmonic Balance not just a regular speed balance!!

Tom

I took the car out, got it up to speed, and put it in Neutral shile it was shaking. It was still shaking when the rpm's dropped.

I'm going to re-balance the tires. I'll ask for the harmonic balance too! Thanks!

No no
Harmonic balancer! green bean!!!

Its what the crank pulley is connected to..
(The big pulley in front of the radiator the farthest down)

There is a type of Harmonic balance on wheel tire assembly thats what I'm talkin about not the Harmonic balancer its self, just to clear things up!!!A wheel on the balancer machine comes down and pushes up against the tire and measures road force and also measures if the tire is out of round and can also tell you if the wheel is bent slightly!!!

But some places do not include this cause there wheel balancer is old as time!!!

Tom

I have recently noticed that mine starts to shake/vibrate around 70-75. I've had all the front end redone and recently had tires balanced and alignment done. On firm ride you can feel it, but on soft you can't. :confused:

I'm thinking about putting rear tires on front and see if that solves it. If so, I''ll go have the tires rebalanced.

well you would think if the rpm dropped that it would rule out the u- joints. but they are running at the speed you were running before you shifted into neutral. But also it takes off the torque thats put to it. only way to be sure is to check the play in it with it on the ground. or something holding your rear wheeles. But the rear end bering being shot is possible. but unlikely. See if the rims are bent if so replace. and def a rebalence of the tires since wheel weights can fall off.

I have recently noticed that mine starts to shake/vibrate around 70-75. I've had all the front end redone and recently had tires balanced and alignment done. On firm ride you can feel it, but on soft you can't. :confused:

I'm thinking about putting rear tires on front and see if that solves it. If so, I''ll go have the tires rebalanced.
What about the rear suspension?

well you would think if the rpm dropped that it would rule out the u- joints. but they are running at the speed you were running before you shifted into neutral. But also it takes off the torque thats put to it. only way to be sure is to check the play in it with it on the ground. or something holding your rear wheeles. But the rear end bering being shot is possible. but unlikely. See if the rims are bent if so replace. and def a rebalence of the tires since wheel weights can fall off.

No my U-Joints were loose and it was shaking at 70 and over if it was in neutral or in gear

Back