performance questions ?

allamericancoug

so i have a 1995 mercury cougar xr-7 . and ii want to put some more pnies in the cougar . i plan on installing an intake , throttle body , and MAF and chip all from super coupe performance .com . then i also plan on putting in a shift kit and putting posi and gears . the last will be true dual exhaust with x pipe and headers . the last will be bigger injectors . so after all this is installed what kind of performance increase am i looking at ?

I'm not exactly sure of numbers - but I'm curious - which gears are you going with? And for shift kit, head over to TCCoA Tech Articles and look into the J-Mod for your trans.

When your all said and done, you'll want to make sure you've got a good dyno tune so that all the mods will work good together. You may want to check out the forums at TCCoA since there is more V8 guys over there to help out as well.

-Melon

From what you mention you will still be slower than a stock SC. Gears are the biggest bang for the buck 3.73`s or 4.10`s. I take it you have the 4.6 so a PI swap is what you need. Intake and heads. Go over to TCCOA for best answers to all your questions. A few of us here have both SC`s and LX`s. J mod done right is the best shift kit. I just did mine on my 4.6 and it cost me just in parts and trans fluid Mercon V about $160. I feel I was taken for the 1-2 accumulater lower spring as it was $39 :eek: Trans filter $33.

so i have a 1995 mercury cougar xr-7 . and ii want to put some more pnies in the cougar . i plan on installing an intake , throttle body , and MAF and chip all from super coupe performance .com . then i also plan on putting in a shift kit and putting posi and gears . the last will be true dual exhaust with x pipe and headers . the last will be bigger injectors . so after all this is installed what kind of performance increase am i looking at ?

The bigger injectors aren't necessary at all. The stock injectors will support about 300 rwhp and you probably won't hit 200 rwhp with the mods you describe. I have all the other mods you describe minus the true duals (got the flowmaster catback instead) on my 95 LX 4.6 and it has run 15.60 at 89 mph. In other words, it's very, very slow. Spending money on a 94-95 4.6 is kind of a waste of time, but if you insist on it I strongly recommend you do as suggested and swap in a set of PI heads, cams and intake manifold instead. The minor bolt-ons you suggest will net very little hp.

I have a '95 LX, with CAI, CHIP, opened exhaust, 3:55 gears, shift kit, rebuilt tranny, Trac-Lok out of a Super Coupe, larger MAF, and my best 1/4 was 15.2 with 60ft times so slow I had time to light a smoke (thats the driver, not the car). With the addition of a better Torgue Converter, I could see it making 14's, but I am still convinced a DRY NOS kit at 50 would be the best bang for the buck, long as the motor is sound. I agree, the PI Swap is costly and without everything else, doesnt seem to yeild the result/cost ratio. Hopefully you have already removed the air silencer. I didnt know they made a TB for these cars!!!!!!! Good luck with this. Use the guys at the TCCOA, but read all the info well and use your own judgement as well. It can get pricey.

Matt

Back