Rear end gear swap, whats needed.

spetz01

I'm seriously wanting to put 3:27's in my car...5spd with the build up and the stock gears are lacking the jam I want. I like the fact that the car will do 250 km/h, I don't need that. Fuel's not an issue, it's not my daily.

Is the install hard?? I'm sure some of you have done it...any pointers

What do I need to adjust the speedo, or is it effected by new gears?

What else should be replaced at the same time? Half shafts or anything in the back that will be effected by shorter gears?

FYI you can have the "jam", do in excess of 250 kph, and 24 plus mpg with 2.73's.

First do you already have a donor pumpkin with 3.27's or are you planning on having new gears installed?

Changing the pumpkin: it's not hard, you just need to have the tools, jack, jack stands. I did it in an afternoon by myself with directions I got off of mn12performance (I think). I just looked for the link and didn't find it. I did find one on tccoa. http://www.tccoa.com/articles/gears/index.html#

You'll need to change the speedometer gear in the transmission. http://www.sccoa.com/faq/speedgr.html Figure out the gear you need and go buy it from Ford.

All this with only a couple minutes of searching. :rolleyes:

Just get a whole pumpkin out of an auto.
They already have 3.27's.
Much easier to do and,cheaper than buying and installing gears.

Thats cool

You want to do it your-self!!!!!

I'd buy the re-build kit for rearend they go for around a hundred and something and he is right about buying the right gear for 3.27 in the tranny, well you can get by without it but your speedodometer will be off as you probably know.

Buy a book or two on rebuilding/replacing gears as it is very important to have them mesh together/line-up or new gears will be trashed very quickly!

Tom

I like to let people do my searches for me...I never seem to have luck. I think it because people name their post funny sometimes. Hopefully this one's name with reference to changing rearend gears will help the next guy...see most of the answer aare all ready here :)

As for doing it my self...I'm all for learning about what I can about this car. Best thing about opening the hood on these cars and showing people is being able to make sense of it all for them. Seeing as most people go "Holy Geez!!" When I first got it all I could point out was the blower. Now I'm able to rip the blower off and change plugs in under 45 minutes.

I'm doing this for the hell of it...But I'm also wanting to do it right. I like the idea of new parts, and the rebuild kit, I don't want to start the headache of removing and installing used parts. Why stop throwing money at her now?

Back