Torque Converter to Flex Plate Connection

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
When I bolted my 9.5" torque converter to my TCI flexplate the bolts did not have shoulders on them and the holes in the flex plate were clearanced enough so that when bolted up loosly the torgue coverter could rock back and forth a little bit.

Is this normal??

Seems to me that after time with things accellerating and decelerating the connection would eventually start to slip back and forth.

Brian,

The bolts shouldn't be real sloppy but there is some room for movement. The last time installing mine I made the mistake of tightning the bolts as I installed them and rotated the converter...when I got to the last hole it had moved enough that the bolt wouldn't start, so I had to loosen them all back up to get it installed.

I wouldn't worry about it.

David

I wouldn't worry about it either. As long as the locating pins are in synch, and all bellhousing bolts are aligned, and the TC is pushed all the way back onto the pump gear, all should be good. Besides, 4 nuts with 30ft lbs TQ on each is actually a lot of holding power.

Thanks guys, puts my mind at ease, seemed odd to me that there was any play there at all.

The last piece I'm waiting for is the driveshaft which I hope to have before the end of the week, the C4 was about 5" shorter than the M5R2. If I get it I'll be on the road this weekend. I still have some gauges etc to hook up but I'm about 95% there.

Back