should i stop leak the radiator ?

89tird

my radiatior is leaking from the top , ive used prestone rad. sealer before on my old 89 v6 n/a bird and it worked like a charm.. but i dont know if to use it on the sc ??

i cant afford a griffin right now :eek:

Ive heard CONS to it, but hell. Ive used the brown pebble kind and it sealed up my friends rad up fantastically!

Id say yes, But i know ill get flack for it

get a tube of copper seal ,put in raidor run 30 minutes should stop the leak.what young sc is talking about bars stop leak pour entire bottle in has a lot of pellets in it .

Last edited:
cool guys, thanks. do i have to flush the coolant or anything like that when i pour the additive in and it seals the leak ?

Bars-Leak

Get a bottle of Bars-Leak radiator stop leak works perfect I used it wont plug up your cores

From what I'm told by a very reliable source, the big 3 all use this at the factory to seal any leaks from assembly. It works great and WILL NOT clog or harm a good cooling system that is not corroded.

If you're system has more than a small amount of corrosion, then I've heard debates on using it, but I still would before buying a new radiator right away.

Personally I used JB-Weld on an outside leak caused by a bolt. Mine is brass and it's working like new, I didn't need the Bars leak.

This is on their website but I've heard elsewhere also:
Now Bar's Leaks is factory installed in 3 out of 4 new cars made in USA by such as General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler, and Bar's Leaks is the most widely used stop-leak and rust inhibitor in the world.

The dry powdered "Bars Leak" (used to be dry tablets) is the one often installed, at the factory. It can be used with antifreeze. After 5000 miles, it disapates. In fact it is recommended service on cadi engines.

The pellets in liquid, bottled Bars Leak, is not used at the factory, is more agressive and effective and, as I recall, should be used with straight water.

Years ago, a "Bars Leak" rep showed up at my shop and gave us a demonstration. I have often used it since. Not a cure-all, however.

bought a bottle today and poured it in, this bottle had a heavy duty tag on the outside, and some big rat poison looking pebbles.

have to check tomorrow to see if it sealed, im hoping it sealed my thermostat housing leak :D.. will let yall know thanks

Figured that would happen. If you can't afford a Griffen than get a OEM replacement for $160. Then while you are at it fix the thermostat leak since you will have everything off. I hate those stop leak products. They will and do clog your heater core. I had an 86 Cougar about 12 years ago and it screwed up the enitre cooling system. After that happened I asked questions and have heard nothing but bad about all of it. All it is meant to do is to be used as an emergency temp. fix until you can get to a repair shop or limp it home for you to fix. After that you are supposed to flush out your entire cooling system.

http://www.thunderbirdscshop.com/
I would check this site out, the guy is cool, just got some replacement hoses from him and he has used radiators. I think they are 40 bucks, anyways if you want a good guy to deal with hes pretty straight forward and his stuff helped me out.

ya i just wanted to buy sometime to work on other stuff, i bought parts from him, quick shipping !

i dont want to take the tstat housing apart again done it like 10 times :eek:, i guess the bars leak fixed something after all :knocks on wood:

ill try to find a good used radiator., thanks

Back