Rebuilt Motors ?

MY90SC

When a motor is completeley rebuilt I have heard that you should have the Cylinder walls bored and put bigger pistons in to get rid of any wear in the cylinder walls

any comments

Typically, the only time that you actually need to 'over-bore' is if the cylinder walls were well worn at the time of the rebuild. Usually, the cylinders are 'honed' to clean up the glaze and put a good cross-hatch back in the material. Honing doesn't require bigger pistons.

In the experience's that I've had so far, these SuperCoupe motors wear very well. I've pulled apart two motors now with better than 150,000 km's on each of them (to replace head gaskets) and there was plenty of the original cross-hatch still clearly visible.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sean

Yes that helps Sean
Thanks a bunch

I am going to the meeting tonight and will get a bunch more opinions I imagine

Ron

The complete motor you are considering buying from Tom has likely been both bored and honed. Those TRW forged pistons are larger than stock pistons.

FYI.

Bill when I asked him if it was bored he said no so I am jusT going by what he told me
I think they are speed pro pistons in it
yup I just checked the e-mail he sent me they are speed pro forged pistons

It's possible that Tom installed aftermarket pistons in the stock bores. You can get the pistons in the stock diameter.

Cheers,

Sean

Hmmmmmm. Speed Pro pistons eh? I guess he has those in the stock size and used them to avoid boring the cylinders. I always thought that motor had the TRW, I gotta pay more attention.

So are you buying it or what? Still a great deal.

TRW and Speed Pro are the same company.....parented by federal Mogul. For the record, they offer a full rebuild kit for the SC including pistons etc in stock or overbore sizes.

Oh well that makes sense now

Bill
I am going to call Tom today with a few last questions and I'm pretty sure I am going to buy it.

Then I have got to look for a place to put it in.
with winter coming I would like to get it done and the car all ready for next spring.

Paul,

Thanks for clarifying that.

Ronnie,

Perhaps we could talk about doing it at my place. I'm located in Mount Hope, so I'm probably closest to you as compared to the other club members. Today my brother starts construction on my new shop crane (engine hoist). I've got Bill's car in my garage right now, but hopefully that will be running again within the next couple of weeks.

I can't do this stuff for free anymore, but I'm sure we could work something out. I wouldn't be looking for much... I'd need to cover the costs of hydro and shop supplies, plus something for my time.

Let me know.

Best regards,

Sean

Sean

That would be great you let me know how much approx. and we can talk about it

It is great having this club you know you are the second guy to offer their space and time to me and my car
I would love to start getting out to some of these garage sessions and lend a hand. I do work alot and have 3 kiddies to spend time on but I will find some time.

I don't have much mechanical ability but am very eager and positive so I am sure I could be of some use in these sessions

In the interest of being reasonable to myself and to you, let me give that some thought for a day or two, and I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Sean

Paul,

Thanks for clarfiying that. Tom always has Federal Mogul boxed lying around everywhere, so I'm guessing most of his stuff comes from them.

He did tell me they were forged pistons though.

Back