tranny problem

94soupecoupe

i got a question/problem with my trans

i just got it rebuilt, new clutch bands, packs and filter and fluid. and its doing the same problem it was before. while crusing at highway speeds (40-70) the trans down shifts, then hesitates at high RPMs for 5 seconds, then goes back to the way it was. it doesnt do it all the time, but when it does do it it down shifts hard. im not sure whats going on and im really fustrated since i just spent 600 on a rebuild and my problem is still there.

anybody know what it might be?

thanks

I had a similar thing with my 96 Mark Vlll, and it went back to the shop, and got fixed again. They told me that they ended up reding the tranny twice before throwing their hands up and getting another case. I was curiuos but just not enough to push for more answers as the shop definitely took a hit in the wallet. My problem surfaced after about 3,000 miles (almost 10 months after rebuild).

im not sure what the MLPS is.

and i called the guy who did my trans to ask him that, and he wasnt in today. so im gonna ask him tomorrow if he did the valve body.

would the overdirve cause a problem like this?

most likely its not this but it is possible, might want to check your valve body

I have been having the same problem with my LX. Tranny shop said valve body or valve body related so I am going to agree with slow. Haven't takin it in yet for a repair.

MLPS is the black box on the side of the trans. Autozone part#f430..about $27 and they are prone to causing this exact problem. Takes about 5 minutes to replace. Do that first if you have the original.
Alan

Man it would be nice to have simple fixes like that instead of expensive repairs.

okay, so it was the valve body that was causing my problem after the rebuild. i got that fixed. and the trans still does the same thing it was doing before. i got it rebuilt, put a new valve body in it. and its still not working right.

any body have any idea what it might be? kick down cable? a sensor that wasn't replaced?

any help is appreciated.

thanks

Did you do the repair work yourself or did you have it professionally done at a transmission shop?

Dude MLPS (manual lever position sensor) What this does is tell the computer what gear your in. If it gets moisture inside it will fail and the computer will guess what gear your in hence the down shift. I had the same problem on my 94 SC. When you pull it if it does not have a orange seal on it, its a old one and prone to fail. Replace it and your problems should go away.

my dads friend did it for me, hes a trans expert.

i replaced the MLPS sensor. and problem was solved!

thanks for all your helpful advice. it helped me out alot

Back