Pinion seal

seawalkersee

Noramlly I would not care about chaning the pinon seal. I changed it on my Bronco (which includes a thourough cleening of prts and pIaint) in about an hour. THese cars SUCK. I am pretty durnk right now and got seriously piseed about the seal. You have to remove the gas tank, and like 40-11 bolts and parts just to do it. Since it has been leaking for a long time, I thought I hab better chandge the lube so I pulled the rear cover. That sucked too. All in all, It took about six hours. Laugh it up guys, this is on my back in the driveway. Lets just say that the 28" pry bar did not like the 26" of clearance I had to opperate with. I did however getr my alumingum driveshaft in the car. What s worse, One of the shims you can pull out whith your fingers. I thought the gear was chucking it out ythe rear and pushed it back in with NO efforyt. No wonder it howels a bit. Oh well....I guess this is a good reason to have a light set built in the Mark Punkin I have...

Chris

P.S. Tooo drunk to drive it soo wish bme louch that the seal does not leak. Oh, you ahve to have a good hammer too. I used a claw hammerand there was not tenough room to hit the seal to make it go in. TOok forever.

I wonder how much alcohol ended up in the diff ;)... maybe that'll cut down on the howling :D.

Sorry, dude couldn't resist :p.

Frit

I'm not a mechanic but from what I have done on these cars, if you can do it sucessfully you probably could fix most other makes. Or are there worse?

I have owned this car since 99. I have done all of the work to it except a tranny that got replaced under warranty. I kind of have an advantage since my background is in this and I have a ton of tools. I do not have the right torque wrench to set up the correct pinion preload, or the case spreader. That is one of the few things I will try to do in the future if I can figure out how to acquire the tools on the cheap. Not because I want them, but because I may need to set one up in the (near since the shim is falling out) future. The problem is, I have a few buddies who could set it up for a WHOLE lot cheaper than just the cost of the spreader, shim installer, backlash guage/mount, and I am sure I am missing one other thing.

That...and I have done it before.:D

Chris

Why would you remove the gas tank to change the pinion seal?

Unbolt the driveshaft from the flange. Unbolt the differential housing mounts, and lower the differential with a hydraulic floor jack until the axle shafts rest on the lower control arms.

Well....It was one of those things where I was trying to get my 'luminum drive shaft put in. So that got done too. For those who have an auto, it seemed to shift smoother and a bit higher. I was trying to see if the howel was gone so I was paying more attention than usual, but I am happy so far.

Chris

Not to mention, to break the pinion nut loose, I needed to have it mounted. After you break the nut loose, you want to reinstall it in the exact same spot. I say this because remember, I do not have the correct tool to measure the rotational force.

Last edited:
Back