is my engine done for?

dcae

Well, I needed a new alternator. After waiting a week for it to come in, I threw it on, and it started, and ran, but was running kinda funny. Took it to get gas, then around the block and BAM. Metal sound hitting the ground. .

It was the harmonic balancer (I believe that is the correct name), the pulley on the outside of the crank. The bolts are broken off on the engine side. Oil was pouring out like a faucet was turned on.

Is my engine done for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Youll need to rip front cover off as you apparently damaged it..Then asses the damage.

Chances are its repairable with anew timing cover and balancer bt we need to see

So most likely, I'm good then? How much cash are we talking for a new timing cover? And I am sure I would need a new pulley as well. .

Not really sure what would cause the bolts to break off like that. . there is only 90 someodd thousand miles on this engine.

the balancer breaks when it wants to break. your not outa the woods yet it might be a bit of a PITA to get that broken bolt out of the crank :eek:

I know how to extract bolts, but I thought I would be replacing the piece that they are broken off into, isn't that the timing cover?

its broken off into the crank if the balancer bolt broke... the timing covers probably just cracked, take a look it.

I think some people are misunderstanding each other here. You said "The bolts are broken off on the engine side. Oil was pouring out like a faucet was turned on."

Since you said "bolts" meaning more than one it sounds like the pulley sheared off it's retaining bolts. This means that the harmonic balancer is still on the motor. While this is not a good thing, it doesn't mean that the balancer is broken. If I were to guess I'd say the balancer has taken some damage, but it doesn't sound to me like it's broken.

So the question is where did the oil come from? If the pulley hit the oil pump hard enough it might have damaged the pump which would make oil pour everywhere. If the timing cover somehow got broken then things may be worse. I don't see how the timing cover could get broken if the balancer is still on the motor.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding also though. :confused:

You need to pull the crank pulley off and inspect things. Oil can come out from all sorts of places including the oil cooler lines, a failed timing cover seal, the oil pump, or the timing cover itself.

At a minimum you'll need a new balancer. Figure $375 or so for the BHJ.
If you need a new timing cover you can find one of those used for less than the cost of the balancer.
Oil pump is under $100.
You'll likely need a new crank sensor. Not sure on those costs.

So your engine is far from toast.

If you have more luck than anyone has a right to, it could be just that the oil filter has been punctured ......you have to get down there and look around...........Dan

Thanks for the help guys. I need to inspect better. This happened when it was dark out, and didn't have a light on me. I will be able to check this in a few days, right now it is in the parking lot still.

And yes, it was bolts. The ones around the cover. Isn't the pulley the harmonic balancer though? I need to get myself a manual. .

I will let you guys know what I find when I inspect.

you've got the timing cover - then the harmonic balancer - then the pully will bolt to the balancer

Took some pictures guys! Let me know what ya think. To me. . it looks like I need just the pulley and harmonic balancer. Not really sure how to tell about the timing cover. Still unable to tell where all the oil leaked out of. I suppose I can pour more in and try and watch for it. And, I know the pictures are a little bit repetitive, but I tried to capture different angles in case there was something I missed. Notice all the metal shavings. . I am sure from when the pulley sheared.

Well . . for your enjoyment:

a.jpg

aaaa.jpg

aaaaaa.jpg

aaaaaaa.jpg

aaaaaaaa.jpg

aa.jpg

aaa.jpg

aaaaa.jpg

Snout? =/

Not sure what would have dented it. It isn't that far of a drop to the ground to leave a mark like that.

Snout? =/

Not sure what would have dented it. It isn't that far of a drop to the ground to leave a mark like that.

Not with the velocity that it was spinning when it sheared off. Are you sure it was oil that was leaking? From the second pic you posted it looks as if the bottom radiator hose took some of the impact. Just wondering if it could have been coolant you saw leaking.

It didn't have much of a smell at all, and was really late and dark. It looked light in color but I could've sworn it was just clean oil. It could have indeed been coolant tho.

well first off that exact thing happened to my cougar when i first bought it. balencer looked good just needed old bolts removed and all but when i looked at it closer one bolt hole was out of round. o i just replaced it. and you defenatly would need a new crank pully. and i can tell you you will need a new water pump as well since it smacked the end of the water pump and is possibly leaking on you. But as far as oil leaking i 2nd the oil cooler lines. And look at your tranny cooler lines when the belt flew off it would of taken those out as well. And i speak from experiance on that.

Back