solid motor mounts?

nwnsc

i was thinking of making some soilid steel motor mounts, besides more vibration and not being able to break. is they any thing i should worry about? i want a little more space for pluming the turbo so a smaller solid mount will help.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about here, but isn't it possible to add a small rubber isolator to a steel mount to help stunt some of the vibrations?

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about here, but isn't it possible to add a small rubber isolator to a steel mount to help stunt some of the vibrations?

good idea. the stock mount seem to be 2 3/4 in tall from shackel to shackel. if i use 2 1/2 square tube with 1/4 ruber isolator it will be the same height and i can cut down the shackel to gain some space

significant noise and vibration will be added. I wouldn't go solid steel. Maybe significantly cut down poly to give some buffer there. If just a strip car, probably not a big deal. But if you want to daily drive it, I don't know if I'd want to go that rough myself.

i was thinking of making some soilid steel motor mounts, besides more vibration and not being able to break. is they any thing i should worry about? i want a little more space for pluming the turbo so a smaller solid mount will help.

Don't know how they would feel with the 3.8 motor, but I've been running with a set of solid steel mounts in my 93 for more than a year without any problems. I was very surprised that after installing them, I couldn't feel any additional vibrations.

steel%20motor%20mounts.jpg

David

The V 8 motor is balanced pretty well. I'd try placing your hand on the top of the v8 motor while it idles. Then do the same to your 3.8 motor. Should be a noticeable difference.

Yes..I'm sure it is better balanced than the 3.8. I also went with a netural balance crank to make it even smoother at high rpms.

David

Don't know how they would feel with the 3.8 motor, but I've been running with a set of solid steel mounts in my 93 for more than a year without any problems. I was very surprised that after installing them, I couldn't feel any additional vibrations.

steel%20motor%20mounts.jpg

David

heavy wall tubing i haden't thought of that. i dont mind noisy and rough that much this is my fun car. i have a 06 expo for a family car so it just me in the bird to go back and forth to work and to go play in. and i only want to do mounts once! a 1/4" pice of poly should be a little cushon.

well i made a set and installed them. there is a noticeable difference. but not as bad as i thought. i just welded a 2 3/4" square tube between the shackles. it was free:D scrap from work. they are not bad but someday i will probly go to some kind of poly mount when i feel like spending money:rolleyes:

Back