well its final h/g's are toasted

92sclikenew

i went out and started to find my miss..... stumble whatever you wanna call it well.... i resealed the ic tubes and all.. started her up still running bad.. so i change out the coil still running bad then i notice tons of water drops out the exhaust and white smoke... mind you i just did an oil change 4 days ago.... oil was good beside being old... well i pull the dip stick and wow it was milky as could be.. hope i didnt hurt my motor.... but deff time for h/g's....

well i guess my 2days off will be fun... do you guys think i could get my heads surfaced in one day... or better yet anyone know of a good place in detoirt area that could get it done and check um for cracks and have them back in one day... and at that its gonna be friday.. i work tomorrow till 4pm which blows because i cant get it started till 5 or so.. i know i can get them off in 4-5 hours but that aint the point... so im lookin to take the heads somewhere friday morning.. and hope to get them back that evening... this car is my dd so i need it.....:(:(:(:(

thanks for any help...

last time i did them it was back in 05 not 2long ago but right after i got the car they went out... about 70k got it with 64k... anyways the car now has about 120k on it....i think they been seeping for the last 10-15k

Last edited:
what part of michigan are you from? I could help you out love working on them. West Michigan SpringLake/Grandhaven area

Jerry

what part of michigan are you from? I could help you out love working on them. West Michigan SpringLake/Grandhaven area

Jerry

i dont even know where that is... i live by metor airport which is in romulus.. dont really need help but i aint complaining....:eek::D;)

well today is tear down day ill throw some pics up when im done

anyone got anyinput on what i should make sure to do while im here...

also thinking about doin a mild port job on the heads.. can some one point me the right way for where and how much to take off...

i have ported blowers but yet some heads.. thanks for any input...

im lookin into head studs because i know they are better then using bolts and then if i got to remove the heads i dont need new bolts....

i seen the stock replacement feltpro gaskets were 94.99 for the whole upper set anyone else know of a better deal.. or better yet if this is a good buy?

thanks again

Last edited:
Buy the head studs for a 2.8 chevy v6, they are the same as the SC ones, but they cost 84.99 plus shipping from jegs. I would get your heads plained to a RA of 30 or better, then use 98 mustang hgs(MLS permatorque) and spray the block side of the hgs with Permatex copper spray. Torque the studs in the sequence in the book, but go 45 ft/lbs, then 65 ft/lbs, then 85-90 ft/lbs. This seems to be an excellent upgrade for the headgaskets.

Part numbers:
ARP Head studs- 233-4003 (JEGS)
Felpro Permatorque MLS Headgaskets- 9262pt and 9263pt (Rockauto.com has the best prices. Advance autoparts and AutoZone are way higher in price.)

Hope this helps.

Mark

Buy the head studs for a 2.8 chevy v6, they are the same as the SC ones, but they cost 84.99 plus shipping from jegs. I would get your heads plained to a RA of 30 or better, then use 98 mustang hgs(MLS permatorque) and spray the block side of the hgs with Permatex copper spray.

Mark

I have always heard to not spray when using MLS gaskets. Not necessary due to the rubber-like outer 'shell'.

I have always heard to not spray when using MLS gaskets. Not necessary due to the rubber-like outer 'shell'.

dont you have to have the block decked for mls gaskets.... im not goin that far with this car just a standard hg job....

im down to the intake in about hour and half.... all i have left is valve covers exhaust parts heads and valve train... another hour or so...

I was given the instruction to use copper spray on the block side with MLS when the block hasn't been decked. If your using the standard gaskets, do both sides it will help the seal a little beter and fill in the surface imperfections.

I used the copper spray on both sides of my stock replacement gaskets on the 90 and did not have the heads or block decked.

I didn't use any copper spray when I installed Permatorque MLS gaskets on my 93 that had both the heads and block decked nice and smooth.

There are two types of MLS gaskets out there. YOu want the Permatorque type that have a special black coating on them, for sure if you are not decking the block or heads. Personally I would avoid the copper spray with such gaskets simply due to the purpose of the coating on them. I believe people have already used the spray with them, as well as not used the spray. Haven't seen any feedback with one way working better than the other.

well tonight i picked up the standard upper head gasket set from autozone..

what is your guys's opions on not getting the heads decked they were done about 60k ago.. i plan to clean um up and check how flat they are...

also can i have then decked more then once????

guess im gonna pick up some of this copper spray thanks.

heres a few pics

Attachments

• DSCF1677.jpg
    DSCF1677.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF1654.jpg
    DSCF1654.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF1642.jpg
    DSCF1642.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF1647.jpg
    DSCF1647.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF1675.jpg
    DSCF1675.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
few more pics... tell me what you think car last had gaskets done around 70k ago it has about 120k on it now....

you can see some of the milky look on the insides of the valve covers... :eek:

but the inside of the head looks clean...

Attachments

• DSCF1667.jpg
    DSCF1667.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF1670.jpg
    DSCF1670.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF1664.jpg
    DSCF1664.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF1663.jpg
    DSCF1663.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 69
Looks like a mess. Lots of filth. make sure you clean things up well.

auto parts store will have it. Permatex Copper Gasket Maker Spray. It's in a copper colored spray can about 1/2 the height of a full size can.

Looks like a mess. Lots of filth. make sure you clean things up well.

auto parts store will have it. Permatex Copper Gasket Maker Spray. It's in a copper colored spray can about 1/2 the height of a full size can.

any idea what would be good to spray in the motor part to clean it out i was thinking somthing like brake clean and then after put some oil in thru the top...

well tonight i picked up the standard upper head gasket set from autozone..

what is your guys's opions on not getting the heads decked they were done about 60k ago.. i plan to clean um up and check how flat they are...

also can i have then decked more then once????

guess im gonna pick up some of this copper spray anyone got a pick of what im lookin for thanks.

heres a few pics

I would go ahead and have the heads decked again. They can be out the slightest amount and cause you problems. When the headgaskets went on my car it warped the heads a little bit, not much that you would notice but enough to cause problems with sealing. So I vote to get the heads resurfaced...do it right or do it twice. I would at least take the heads to the machine shop and have them check them.

I would go ahead and have the heads decked again. They can be out the slightest amount and cause you problems. When the headgaskets went on my car it warped the heads a little bit, not much that you would notice but enough to cause problems with sealing. So I vote to get the heads resurfaced...do it right or do it twice. I would at least take the heads to the machine shop and have them check them.

yea i atleast want them checked what should i be paying to hav ethen check and then if they need sufaced what should i look at spending???

I second the resurfacing. Looks like the gasket went in a not so likely spot. Its usally on the ends where they go. Drain your oil right away. Change the oil after 500 miles after the headgasket job and at least 3000 there after Change your antifreeze every 2 years and you should never be visited by the headgasket fairies again.;)

cleaning, I would use something like simple green. and wd-40. flush it out with wd-40. Make sure you don't get anything down the cylinder bores.

Dump the oil before starting and replace with a cheap filter and cheap oil. Once the motor is back together, run it up to temp, then shut it off and drain the oil and change the filter.

Put some more cheap oil and filter in there and drive it 250-500 miles. Drain the oil and swap out the filter again. The refill with the good stuff and a good quality filter (not Fram please...).

Machinist can check if the heads need to be decked, so just have them check it. Then figure out what to do if they find it should be done.

yea i atleast want them checked what should i be paying to hav ethen check and then if they need sufaced what should i look at spending???

When I had the heads done on my car it was $80 to have them resurfaced, but total I ended up paying $342 because I had them pressure tested($70), and had a 3 angle valve job done($140), valve seals($12) and shop labor($20).

Back