Car won't go into gear now.

19TbirdSC91

I tried searching, and something is wrong with the site, won't let me do it. So anyway, I put that new motor in my 35th, and was working out all the bugs and what-not, drove it around a couple of times and everything was finally starting to come together. Last night, I went out to drive it around somemore, I just let it coast down the driveway, went to put it in gear, and apparently it doesn't go in. Do you guys think the slave cylinder is shot? I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. Thanks.

Sean

pull off the rubber cover on the bellhousing and have a buddy push on the clutch. see if you can watch the slave cylinder push the throw out bearing into the pressure plate. This way you can rule out the clutch and move on to bigger problems like tranny issues

We've seen some of the 5 speed trannies here break the 3/4 shift rod leaving it stuck in 3rd gear. You can't put it in any other gear while it's rolling and if you put it in gear with the engine off it locks the tranny up. Both of them had to replace the top cover of the tranny that holds the shift rods.

We've seen some of the 5 speed trannies here break the 3/4 shift rod leaving it stuck in 3rd gear. You can't put it in any other gear while it's rolling and if you put it in gear with the engine off it locks the tranny up. Both of them had to replace the top cover of the tranny that holds the shift rods.

I had the 3/4 rod break, appearently I got lucky because I could still use 1,2 and 5th gear.

jOe

third and fourth gear worked just fine the last time i drove it, and it wasn't any kind of spirted driving, just cruising a little bit for a couple of minutes, i'll try that rubber cover or whatever it was you mentioned and we'll go from there.

Sean

Sean, are you able to put the car in gear without it started and then able to cruise around but unable to shift gears? When the slave cylinder goes bad, the car is unable to come out of gear or in while running without grinding. The slave cylinder releases the gripping power of the pressure plate to the clutch when you press the clutch in. If it is not working, the clutch is always engaged and turning the transmision, unless of course you start the car in neutral.

Chris

Last edited:
Sean, are you able to put the car in gear without it started and then able to cruise around but unable to shift gears? When the slave cylinder goes bad, the car is unable to come out of gear or in while running without grinding. The slave cylinder releases the gripping power of the pressure plate to the clutch when you press the clutch in. If it is not working, the clutch is always engaged and turning the transmision.

Chris

Yeah, i can put it in gear, start it and then drive around, won't come back out of gear though, only gear it grinds is reverse, all the other ones just don't work.

Sean

If it won't come out of gear but you can select and drive off in any gear you want it sounds like clutch cylinder. If the shift rod is broken all you'll have is one gear, 3rd, or it's locked up. Check the fluid in the little round reservoir on the driver's side corner of the firewall. If it's empty fill it with brake fluid and pump the pedal a few times until it's full and you'll have clutch till it leaks out again. Your slave is probably blown and you'll have to pull the tranny to replace it. Look for brake fluid on the front bottom edge of the bellhousing to confirm.

If it won't come out of gear but you can select and drive off in any gear you want it sounds like clutch cylinder. If the shift rod is broken all you'll have is one gear, 3rd, or it's locked up. Check the fluid in the little round reservoir on the driver's side corner of the firewall. If it's empty fill it with brake fluid and pump the pedal a few times until it's full and you'll have clutch till it leaks out again. Your slave is probably blown and you'll have to pull the tranny to replace it. Look for brake fluid on the front bottom edge of the bellhousing to confirm.

The resevoir was empty that night, i put fluid in it, and still no clutch...I might just try to pay someone with a lift to do it for me, I don't feel like yanking a tranny in my driveway... So if anyone around columbus ohio can help me out at all, PLEASE let me know, thanks.

Sean

no there are some 5spds, they really dont know how many were autos, and how many were 5spds, all they now is how many 35ths there are???

There were 3,371 35th's produced, and yeah, I don't think anyone truely knows how many were 5 speeds, they're pretty rare though.

Sean

Back