Anyone using Water Wetter with lots of water?

Jeremy_K

I recently flushed my coolant out real good. It was smelling of exhaust and had black floaties in it. I'm hoping it was from the first time I blew the HGs cause I know I didn't flush it properly after. I added some 50/50 antifreeze and some distilled water with a bottle of water wetter. The water wetter is dyed kinda pink. Water wetter works better with higher concentrations of water. I drove the car around on a pretty hot day for about an hour and it never went above 210. When I got home and let it cool, The reservoir coolant is now kinda clear and pinkish orangeish. It doesn't reak of exhaust like it did but it smells weird. I'm just wondering if that bottle of water wetter was enough to change the color of my green antifreeze? I need to get it tested and I have a couple samples ready. I just need to find a lab.

Yes, water wetter will turn the coolant kind of orange/pink. I use a bottle of water wetter in both of my SC's. Every spring I remove the thermostat and do a complete cooling system flush by draining the coolant then adding distilled water, running the engine for a minute and draining again. I do this until there is straight water draining. Then I put the thermostat back in, add one gallon of Prestone green/yellow antifreeze, a bottle of water wetter and the rest distilled water and the coolant always turns out looking orange.

Last edited:
That's about what I did except I didn't remove the tstat. I flushed the heater core and the top drain plug. I figure I flushed both sides of the tstat. I tested the old coolant and the new coolant today at the firehouse using a couple of our meters. The old coolant showed no readings of CO using a sniffer. The new coolant showed 12 Parts per million CO. The VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) actually set off the sniffer's alarm at 84 Parts Per Million. We have a high dollar chemical I.D. machine that can tell you every chemical within a drop of the sample. It showed mostly water and the main ingredients for antifreeze. No signs of oil or anything petroleum based in the coolant.

Back