Lugnuts

Tech_Greek

So, my car started making this horrendous noise when turning ONLY to the left (I think it may have been right) but either way it was horrible and made my duck in my seat real low as I was embarrased (for it to sound like that, and for me to let it sound like that).

So, I saw on a thread (out of pure luck that I found) that said it could be the wheel bearing so I decided to take off the wheel and low and behold - guess what I found?

That it took ALL of my strength in my feet and my arms plus a breaker bar to get off ONE of the five lugnuts - the rest were just as bad - I swear to god the dumb idiots who put my tires on the front used an impact gun.

So, took all of them off turned the wheel with both hubs in the air on jack stands and no noise (thank god not the rack) - put back on the wheels and noise is gone.

I'm going to redo the other one tomorrow on the right side just to make sure that it isn't screwed but I'm assuming it is...

Moral of the story, watch the people who put the lug nuts on your car...last time I go back to that place - stupid mom and pop shop but for $10 for used tires I couldn't beat it (I was broke).

Rule of thumb.. always retorque wheels anytime a shop does any work on the car. Also, always remind them that you want 100lbs max torque on the lug nuts.. it usually makes them stop and think for once. :rolleyes:

Back