head gasket sealant

nascar john

gentlemen, i like most of you at some time or another am having, what i believe is a head gasket problem. mine is excessive bubbling in the overflow tank. i am not overheating and no white smoke is evident in the exhaust. i do not want to use liquid glass due to the possibility of clogs from some anti freeze still being present in the system. i have heard about a product called SEAL UP from jones motor purr in gardene ca. has anyone tried this. it is a metallic product that is compatible with anti freeze.
i called the company and they can ship only case lots-and they have a small distributor net work. any info would help
thanks
john

So are you trying to just add something to your coolant to seal your head gasket? I don't think that's gonna work...I think your gonna have to tear it down and put a new HG in...

If you've seen pictures of failed head gaskets, you'll see the futility of trying any type of add in product. Those additives can help if there is a crack, but typically won't help with a gasket. The head gasket typically fails near the cooling passage around a rear cylinder. This allows coolant to touch the fire ring, which will corrode it, eventually leading to catastrophic failure.

I swapped head gaskets on my car over 2 weekends once. If you are lucky you could get it done in one weekend. Keep an eye on your oil level to make sure it's not rising due to coolant getting in there.

Take it from me. I've been in the auto business for over 35 years and I can tell you there is no such a thing as mechanic in a can. I worked for a used car dealer for over 20 years and tried em all, they never worked for more than a short time if at all. Dont risk doing more damage by trying to save money it seldom produces results.The minute I open one of those cans and see a little guy with wrenches and parts in his little hands I MIGHT believe it will work.:D

Are you sure you don't have a coolant leak and the fluid from the overflow is bubbling because it is going into the radiator?????
If your not overheating and you don't have coolant in the oil or see smoke out the exaust then i'm pretty sure it's not a head gasket.

you dont have to have, water in the oil - white smoke out the exhaust - or the over-heating, to have blown HG"S

i did have something going on with the over-flow bottle though, that was the only sign

and when they let go on mine, they let go- and then i did have the big cloud of white smoke and knew right away that - it was HG time

at least i was only about a mile or so from the house

H/g's???

why not start at square one and make sure you have a 50/50 anti-freeze mix. Even though you may live in the south with the 50/50 mix and the 15# rad pressure this will raise the boiling point to approx 250* Then slowly top up the cooling system (remove the air bleed bolt) until you see coolant at the top of the tube coming up from T-stat housing replace bolt then finish topping up radiator and overflow and see what happens.

50/50 mix WILL raise the boiling point, but REDUCE the mixtures ability to conduct heat.

The reduction is approximately 20% but is well within the manufactured specification for our vehicles. Our coolant pumps should have no trouble pushing sufficient volume to make up for the efficiency loss.

Back