Well my problems back after about 3 weeks

raideron

Hi All,

Well after about three weeks of normal running(short runs) my 1990 SC started it's problem back up :-(... Like it's missing, running on less than 6 clys.

I used a Actron tester and the only code I got was # 46.. Which reads Thermactor Air Stem unable to bypass air to atmosphere... Or... DIS problems - primary circuit failure in coil 2..

Three weeks ago I went with changing the coil pack, and as stated I thought that did the trick, but three weeks later the problems back...
( missing/running on less than all cyls.. This happens intermittently may run good for days, then the next it'll be down on power check engine light may or may not come on, depending on how long it stays in that condition, sometimes it last for a -minute or so and other times a few miles, but to date it has aways cleared up. It can driven, and after a while it'll clear up and run great again )

Wires and plugs were changed out about 4/5 months ago and as stated the coil pack three weeks ago... I did check the wires to get them as far as possible from any medal, insured that all connections were good:)... And once while it was in that problem condition I inspected all the wires for any shorting and I saw and heard no spark anywhere...

Can the DIS module be the problem??? Any thoughts on what to do next??

Thanks for any info/help

Ron

Sounds like the DIS to me. They can be hard to diagnose sometimes. Some Autozones are able to test them though. I had one on mine that acted up intermittently and ended up replacing it and it's given no problems since. I'd get it checked first if you can though, before replacing it.

Hi, thanks for the reply... My AZ's here don't check the DIS.. But I was told that the DIS module(above the AC compressor) will just go out??? That is what made me change the coil pack... I may get one and try it.. I think it's about $70 from this place that I can get it from with "what they say is a discount" Does that sound about right??

Thanks again
Ron

I think I paid about $105-$110 for mine at AZ, so if you can get the right one for that price, that sounds good. Don't forget the heatsink. I used Artic Silver on mine, available at Radio Shack. The small tube they have is just enough to cover the mounting surface. I think it was about $10.

Back