Polishing aluminum

Tony8470

Got a plenum I'm polishing and I took the powder coat off with a paint remover wheel. Then sandblasted the parts that I couldn't get to. I"m looking to a way to get it to a shine.

I read to start with 1000 grit and work your way up till you can polish it with a wheel.

I got 600 grit, wetsanding and I'm having a tough time getting the marks left behind from the wheel out. It works but I'm going through the paper way too quickly and the few deep grooves aren't coming out well. I'm hoping someone can tell me a way preferably using a drill with a proper attachment to save my hands the trouble. Also, what polishing compound to use after I get it sanded down?

Start with a more coarse sandpaper to get the wheel marks out. Then move on to your wet sanding. Unfortunately there is no easy way, unless you have the cash to pay someone else.:(

Depending on the surface, you should start with either 80 grit emery or if you want to just polish and the surface is pretty smooth, go with 200 grit compound. Work in different angles, so that each grit you go up is offset from the prior one and you work it until all the previous marks are gone. You just keep doing that as you get finer and finer then finish off with a aluminum polish like Mothers. Should be a mirror shine if you did it right.

just remembered these guys... they have some info on getting started with polishing aluminum.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm

Last edited:
you have a hand drill? ok get a sanding disc 80 grit then go to 200 frit now wet sand with 400 then 600 then step to 1500 then 2500 unless you have a good polisher like i do i just go 600 and buff it with course then finsh glaz

when it get like this its ready to polish

Back