engine rebuild...don't change the timing chain??

tristen001

hey,

i'm rebuilding the engine in my 90 5spd. not boring over or anything like that. just changing all bearings and honing and stuff like that. afew local mechanics say i shouldn't have to change my timing chain since it's a "double roller". there's approximately 220k on it now. the gears look fine as does the chain. also, the tensioner doesn't have a single wear mark in it.

so...it all LOOKS like it's just out of the box. but how long was it intended to live for?? anyone know the life expectancy of a t.c.? it's a keystone piece!

rus

I know how you feel. My project involes an engine "freshen-up" as opposed to a full on overhaul. Rings, bearings, oil pump, chain, valve grind, water pump.

In the end I went with a new chain simply for the "feel good" value....and a standard issue replacement kit was only $40 or so from Rock Auto, as I recall.

I don't know how often chains fail on these engines but at 220k miles, yours doesn't owe you anything. I'd change it.

Others with more experience will chime in

Cheers
DD

Stock are not double roller or even roller for that matter so if you have one it's been changed, just stick with that one.
Otherwise if it's stock change it,i did.
Even though these engines have tensioners my chain was still badly worn.

With 220K miles on the motor, I would suggest changing the timing set and the chain tensioner. It would also be a good time to upgrade to a late model oil pump (Melling M246).

David

With 220K miles on the motor, I would suggest changing the timing set and the chain tensioner. It would also be a good time to upgrade to a late model oil pump (Melling M246).

David

Agreed. As long as it's apart anyway it's cheap at the price.

Ira

engine rebuild----oil pump

Just picked up my M246.....noticed some scoring on timing cover surface from the original pump gears, how criticle is this? Can the surface be milled or do I need a new cover?
MikeH

Can you catch a finger nail on the scoring? If so, you'll want that cleaned up. that surface assists in developing the pressure. If not sufficiently smooth pressure will bleed off.

If a machine shop is creative, they can clean it up.

oil pump/timing cover scoring

Thanks, decided to look for a new T-cover HA! It's worse than finding a balancer!
MikeH

Thanks, decided to look for a new T-cover HA! It's worse than finding a balancer!
MikeH

Early model covers are no longer avail....a late model 94/95 cover is a direct replacement so that's the cover you want to buy (motor still uses early model balancer).

David

Stock are not double roller or even roller for that matter .

so...for the sake of telling a "real" mechanic he's full of caca...what is a roller chain set-up? what's so fancy about it over the stock system. and, what is the stock system called...technically.

rus

Stock system is a link-bar setup.
Roller is just that. It has a link on either side of the roller and is supposed to be better because it rolls (and I THINK it is lighter).

Chris

right...so i do have a stock "link-bar" system in place. guess i'll be changing my timing chain and gears. thanks for all the help guys. hope to see you on the streets.

rus

Back