whining when turning wheel

asmoboba

hey,

I'm experiencing a loud whining sound on my 89 sc when I turn the wheel like in a parking situation or at low speeds. It has always been present, but the last couple of days its very loud. Also, as it's whining, the wheel is a bit harder to turn. This is a very electrical noise....am I low on power steering fluid or something? If so, how do I fill that?

Thanks

Yep thats power steering. Look right below the brake master cylinder for a yellow dipstick. That's power steering. When you fill it, start the car and turn the wheel from one extreme to the other holding it a few seconds on each end several times. This will purge the system of air.

Sounds like you're low on power steering fluid. There is a yellow dip stick behind the pwr steering pump. Turn it slightly, then pull up and out. You'll need a long small funnel to fill it. You can use transmission fluid.

mine

Hey guys, my 95 SC is doing that also- making that whining sound,, i checked the power steering and it is just were it should be, can it still be air in the system? would it still help to turn the wheel to both extremes?
Thanks-
Damon

Sounds like its time to do a flush and fill on the power steering pump. Old fluid breaks down/ gets contaminated over time. Mine was whining, so I popped a hose fitting loose and let it drain. After refilling with new fluid, it whined like a Bi*** for the first few minutes 'til the fluid worked through the pump. Now its basically silent (not 100%, but close enough)

Back