No audio output

Mike8675309

90 Sc that originally had jbl. someone hacked up the harness completely, and now there are no connectors, someone cut the amp and subwoofer out and basically wires are twisted together with electrical tape.

anyway, the radio worked fine. Added a sub to the back which involved running wires back to the trunk. Took a while to build a box, but we had run the wires. The aftermarket JVC radio head worked fine.

Got the box and amp and sub in and that worked fine for 2 or 3 days. then all of a sudden, nothing. Amp in back turns on, radio shows it's on, but no sound. Pulled the head unit, checked all speaker wires from the head unit with a battery and got all speakers to pop. Figured a bad head unit.

Got a new head unit, still no sound from any speaker and yet I can pop the speakers.

Now what?

Thanks

Success... Found the issue... oh well, wanted a new head unit anyways.

I stumbled onto the problem thinking that maybe the radio was protecting itself from something. so I turned it on, and one by one disconnected the speaker wires. aaha, found it. As soon as the front right speaker was disconnected, the left right speaker had sound. (I had pulled the others off first). So I reconnected the rear speakers and yes, connecting the front right speaker caused them all to turn off.

Testing with a digital VOM found that the speaker wires on the front right were common to ground. Must have rubbed through somewhere. Now that I had something to track down, it became an easy case of following the wire and finding a couple questionable spots. Fix up the wire and hook it all back up and it worked.

Fixed up the area where it rubbed and hopefully this won't happen again.

Back