ABS Codes

91 XR7

Okay i know i searched like 2 weekends ago for hints on this, but wiht my luck with the search features on sites, i have a better chance of being hit by lightning inside a building then finding what i want :)

I recently (2 months ago but only driven it now for a total of like 300kms (180miles) got a '91 SC 5spd that had no brakes.. Replaced the Pump Relay (stuck on) and the accumalator (Never seen one so bad that it RATTLED!) and got brakes again..
Only driven really twice since then.. (had to fix other issues too) and both times the ABS light came on..
And to make a long post longer....:)

Can one use one of those Generic Code reader (I have a Innova Ford Code reader (digital one) ) to read the codes? or do i need to hope a mechanic has the equipment to do it, or go to the dealership?

Before i start ripping into it trying to figure out what is wrong, i would like to have an idea where to look :)

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
i've never scanned abs codes because i've never had a problem with my abs on any of my s/c's but i know there is another connector that looks very similiar to the eec connector...

i'm going to go run out to my car right now and plug my el cheapo scanner into it and see if i get any codes, i'll post back with the results in just a moment

this is Car number 3 that i have with this system, and the only car that has problems (knock on wood).. other then the accumaltors that wore out, which is a typical 150,000 mile Maintenance Item :p

Yep the Red connector on the passenger side of the trunk near the Fuel door is :) (Why is the ABS there, and the Ride control Up front with the EEC-IV test connector i do not know)

the other connector is the arc/evo connector i don't think thats it though, i recall somewhere there being an abs connector??

hmm sry can't help maybe someone else will chime in

yeah that sounds right, i remember seeing it somewhere let me go run back out and check it... you never know

brb

yeah, i can't get in my trunk right now, as soon as i could i'll see what i can do for u

if i remember, no telling how long it'll be :mad:

Like i've read, (did some searching again between doing some work on the car, at work and such), a typical `off the shelf' EEC-IV code reader doesn't work.. There's gotta be a way to get the codes off it that doesn't have to mean going to a dealership (and hoping they still can do it) or just scraping the system...

Now my question is.. How does one test the Diode in the starter solenoid?? I tried testing it VIA my Multimeter, which has a Diode testing function.. but um.. since the diode goes across the the two Coil leads in the solenoid.. it didn't seem to work well? since i was getting like 3V either way i hooked up the Leads to the solenoid `start' input and ground.. And i do know that pulling the Red/Blue wire from the solenoid will cause the ABS light to come on.. So..

Tomorrow i'm gonna try seeing if the shop next door to where i work can pull the codes or not..

Thanks all the same decipha really do appreciate it :)

WOO HOO found a shop with a Snap on tool that was able to check it out for me.. Down side it was a code 21..

which is:
Main Valve (Disconnect main 2 Pin Plug on Hydraulic Actuator Assembly & measure resistance. 2 to 5.5 Ohms, service cable harness, any other reading replace Actuation Assembly)

BUT the Valve registers in at like 4.1ohms.. but i did find the ground on the ABS/Master to be loose (by a fair amount) tighten that for now, but tomorrow i'll try and clean all the contacts i can get my hands on..

Just to keep my more ABS related Qs in my ABS related thread..

OKay If i can't figure out how the heck to get rid of this Code thing..
Is there away to disable the ABS completely (and the light) But still Keep the brakes working as if `normal'

I do not know how the `conversion' Feels but i like how these brakes feel to me.. And since they work find otherwise...

is there a possibilty or no?

I amit the Pump would go into my '91 XR7 (it decided to not want to work yesterday.. couple of wacks got it spining again thou :) Scary thing is it never even blew the fuse.. it got warm, but never blew..)
and the accumlator can go into my '89 XR7.....

Back