Wow,I'm impressed.......

ecyrbh

Just put the 2nd tank of 93 octane in my SC since the resurection.First tank got me 19.5 miles to the gallon.This included a lot of idle time and revving.This second tank got me 23.975... This tank had about 100 miles on it when I changed to my 5% pulley.I've driven it sanely,keeping out of boost when possible,but while still making entrance ramps a lot of fun.I wonder what it is gonna be like when I finally get the A/C working.This car wows me more and more everytime I drive it.......:D

19-23 mpg sounds great! I still can't figure out why I only get 16-17. :( And I don't drive hard either, I am a pretty conservative driver.

With the A/C running, you'll loose a good 2-5 mpg would be my guess.
It has been a proven fact you do not lost MPG'f from running the A/C, unless you are idleing or alot of stop and go traffic. If you are on the highway you will lose MPG's from having your 4-40 (4 windows at 40mph) A/C going.

It has been a proven fact you do not lost MPG'f from running the A/C, unless you are idleing or alot of stop and go traffic. If you are on the highway you will lose MPG's from having your 4-40 (4 windows at 40mph) A/C going.

They checked it out on Myth Busters and the A/C lost out bigtime to windows. That's driving at a constant speed on a racetrack. The fuel economy was much better with the windows open. That was in a 90's Ford Explorer.

Steve,

I actually saw an article recently that stated that this is only true until your speed passes about 40 mph. Then the lost aerodynamics starts taking its toll.

Replace your Fuel filter, clean the MAF, all new MOTORCRAFT Oxy sensors, and alignment:rolleyes::cool:

Then check MPG

Alignment plays a big part in fuel economy. These cars can and must be 4 whell aligned. I noticed a huge difference in rolling resistance when the wheels were off.

Whenever I'm taking a long trip. The tires all get at least 5psi more air in them than the door sticker says. Wider tires (friction and heavier), bigger wheels (heavier) will all decrease economy. Old O/2 sensors will also cut economy.

To improve economy you should try to keep the motor into vacuum as much as possible. Anytime pressure is positive, you're using more fuel.

As far as economy, I have achieved 23mpg pretty easy on a long trip. Just set a pace and stick to it.

Thanks for all the replies,I'm ordering the A/C parts that I need this week and as soon as I can I will reply back with my fuel mileage,Thanks Again......

Heh my '89 XR7 gets better gas mileage then my '96 4.6L I can't say for shure what kinda MPG i get, just know it's better :)

One day i should try to see what kinda gas mileage either my '89 XR7 Auto or '91 SC 5spd can get.. So far i know they are both better then my '96 XR7 with a 4.6L.. and around 100 times more fun to drive :)

my '91 XR7 got like 26-29MPG highway in like 1997-99.. and now it gets like 19mpg if i'm lucky.. AND IT'S STOCKISH!!

Well,Mine is stockish,I guess......exhaust manifolds opened up at the flange area,deleted cats,a glasspack for a resonator into stock mufflers,gasket matched intake and heads,block deck resurfaced,heads resurfaced with a good valve job,stock cam,new injectors,255 gph fuel pump,removed air silencer...Man,I could go on and on and on.........

If you haven't already ordered, and you need a new condensor (and maybe if you don't,) you should get the condenser for a 87 Ford Ranger or Bronco II with the 2.9l V6. It's essentially the same except shorter so it uncovers the intercooler improving intercooler performance. You must may need to tweak the AC line fittings a little.

If you haven't already ordered, and you need a new condensor (and maybe if you don't,) you should get the condenser for a 87 Ford Ranger or Bronco II with the 2.9l V6. It's essentially the same except shorter so it uncovers the intercooler improving intercooler performance. You must may need to tweak the AC line fittings a little.
Thats good info right there! I will have to remember this if mine ever goes bad. She has been converted to 134 and blowin strong and cold! What I think is funny is my A/C works WAY better than my wifes new CRV. LOL!!!!! Also for the record my old 96 TBird 4.6 was better on gas with mixed driving of pedal to the floor and conservative than my 91 SC. I will say though after driving 120 miles on this tank, my needle is only hair under 3/4 of a tank. I have been really taking it easy on this one to see what I can achieve.

Back