Valve Body Sticking? Tranny Going?

Young-SC-Owner

Well today driving, my car "hung" in drive, and didnt want to shift into OD,
So i was just about 300 FT from the driveway i needed so i just went in, shut it off and did my buisness, Came out and drove off. Shifted fine:confused:
Then stoped at my fiances work and had some pie:D, As i was leaving i was like ta hell with it and got on it some and WHAM into 2nd like it was a shift kit!
so i was like SHAT! my trany is fried!, i drove to town with it hanging 1st, 2nd, 3rd., Got some lucas and drove home to put it in, its about 20 miles home.
Got a bit better and quit hanging gears so much, Got home and added the lucas, ran thru the gears a bit and it seems to have cleared it up:rolleyes: for now...
I checked TV cable and she is tight on there with cotter pin, IDK whats going on, it seems so shift a bit higher RPM than it used to. Any Ideas??

Ok, Update. It still seems to be doing the same thing! hanging in gears and shifting at like 3500 RPM like a shift kit, now i cant get it to go into OD, without going from OD to N to OD.....HMMMMM come on people! any ideas???

if i go WOT it shifts perfect! there is no slipping just like its hanging in gear at normal operation.

TIA,
-Tony

Im having that same problem with mine, but mine won't shift into 3rd it totaly skips it and goes into OD. If you floor it of course it shifts fine. When I pulled my pan I didn't see any large chunks only the sludge. While I had the filter off I played with the VB a bit and noticed that the pistons on the side of it were a little tight. A few of them wouldn't move at all I had to break them loose a little. To me it does sound like the VB sticking. As far as it not shifting into OD that almost sounds like the problem everyone has with the OD band.

Last edited:
I am having kind of the same problem, as well.....:mad:

I talked to Alan (aka dirtydog) and he thinks it could be that the TV cable is too tight....

He recommended setting it to 33-35 psi with the gauge block installed, idling warm in neutral.....

Funny you mention that because the move I mess with my cable the more it seems to help. Is there any other AOD VBs that I can pull out of my local yard and slap in to see if thats the problem?

I believe that there are a few different types of valve bodies that Ford used in these trans......

The SC has an "A" valve body that is designed to handle the extra low end torque of the SC engines......

Bolt any other stock AOD trans on an SC engine is asking for trouble.....

If my trans ever goes, I'll be replacing it with a Lentech Street Terminator....

Ok, Update. It still seems to be doing the same thing! hanging in gears and shifting at like 3500 RPM like a shift kit, now i cant get it to go into OD, without going from OD to N to OD.....HMMMMM come on people! any ideas???

if i go WOT it shifts perfect! there is no slipping just like its hanging in gear at normal operation.
I've been through this more times than I can describe with the red car. More than likely, there are small/fine metal particles interferring with the operation of the valve body. You could rebuild the VB and things would work fine for a while until more debris works its way in. You can order VB gaskets online from http://transmissionpartsusa.com. You also should use a new filter + fluid. Fluid can be reused if its in good condition (essentially red and mostly clear), but should be strained first.

For those who don't like Mercron showers, a simple way to drain it is to get 8' of 1/2" clear plastic hose from a hardware store, and siphon out most of the fluid first.

Also, I highly recommend purchasing the Haynes Ford Transmission rebuilding book. The diagrams are essential for something like the VB, and the instructions are great. Its well written. Just about any parts store will have it.

Last edited:
Yeah, i have the FSM for this car...too bad its in my apt in Tulsa:mad:
Im gonna go slam the pan back on with some tranny fluid and see what happends, im not expecting miracles at this point:rolleyes:.

Thanks Again
-Tony

Fixed:D

The Centrifugal governer in the tranny was sticking thus causing my problems, so the tranny guy did what he did,.....and i didnt get charged a dime!

I can't tell you for sure how that works, but its a common technique for clearing a jammed govenor, at least with the AOD. Common among transmission builders such as Lentech. Although it sounds :eek: it doesn't hurt the transmission at least as long as you don't leave it that way. :cool:

Back