Rear end thunk..ABS light ...

tbirdsc35th

Hello, everyone. Just wondering. Today my 35th developed a slight hollow thunking in the right rear every so often on a bump in the road and the yellow ABS light came on once for about a second. I am taking it in next week to have the car checked out. Has anyone had this sound on their car and do you have any thoughts as to the possible problem? Thanks all.

Not exactly the same situation, but I have had the "thunking" before. One time it was a loose lower rear shock mounting bolt, another time one of the caliper mounting bolts had worked loose.
Now, I have had my ABS light flash from hitting a rough spot in the road. It was due to a bad battery cable that would lose ground for a split second. The brief power loss was enough to trigger the ABS control unit to send a warning indicator to the dash. In your case, it may be that something is a little loose around the rear wheel causing the ABS wheel sensor to lose contact and throw a warning signal......
Just a thought.......

LJ, thanks for your input. I think we are on the same page and I hadn't even thought about a poor battery cable connection causing the ABS light to come on. It does sound like a bad shock mount and I may have more than one problem. I will tell the guys at the shop to look at the battery connections while they are checking out the ABS system. Are there any components of the SC ABS system that are hard to find? I haven't checked with Ford on ABS stuff yet.

Sometimes I wish I were younger and had more time to do these things myself. Right now just can't. Have a great weekend all.

Parts for the ABS system are generally easy to find...but be prepaird to pay. They are not the cheapest things on our cars.

As a matter of fact, new long block from Ford = $2500
new ABS hydrolic unit from Ford = $2200

An alternative source for the Teves Mark II ABS hydraulic pump unit is Prior Remanufacturing in Texas. (www.priorreman.com) They sell units with new accumulators and give a 36 month/ 36000 mile warranty for around $400.00 (US). I have one of their systems on my '92. Now, as far as ABS wheel sensors, I'm not sure. You may be able to get them from a parts house. I haven't needed any, so I don't know.

Prior is a good source, but they will only sell the hydrolic unit with an accumulator, or just the accumulator. They do not sell parts for the ABS system.

Well guys I can't speak for the ABS light coming on every so often for a few seconds, but I did find the thunking noise. Just goes to show that sometimes it's the little things. I guess I went around a left turn at some point, ..uh.., a little fast. The tailpipe section of the car shifted a bit to the right and the tip is hitting the bottom of the body air dam piece. I just got under the car a minute or two ago and I can see where it's hitting the air dam piece. I feel like a moron. I was driving on some rougher than usual roads the other day and it brought the shifting pipes to my attention whereas around where I live the streets are smoother. Just wanted to pass this along for anyone else who might encounter the same situation. I also appreciate the input on the ABS systems. I will be the first to admit you guys have been in the trenches with SC's mechanicals longer than I. Thanks again.

Have a great weekend all.

Back