SC Swell car/tough to work on!

mikeceli

I've spent the better part of the past 3 days, R&R'ing the motor mounts, spark plugs, power-steering return hose and resealing the supercharger tubes.

Even with a lift, this thing is a real pain to work on! NOTHING is accessible. Like the clamp, return hose at power steering pump. I F'ed with that at least an hour. Can't reach a spring type clamp, to install. Worm gear clamp was tough to reach to tighten.

Tube from bottom of the intercooler, all three bolts/nuts hard to get to, barley line up, aluminium treads that just love to cross-thread.

Motor mounts, raise the engine, lower the crossmember. Tried to remove the Knock sensor shield, NOPE,...retainer frozen to engine block. I had to trim it w/ a 3" carburendium wheel(after pulling the starter)!

My hat's off to you guys doing this stuff, without a lift. (I used to pull tranies W/O a lift, in my younger days).

Said 94 SC is a car I bought for my now 19 year old daughter. I have only driven it about 75 miles, in the past 18 months. I DO want to drive it now!

lol Get used to wrenching on it you will probably be doing more of it soon enough.

Doug

If you feel the 94 is tough to work on, I had a early 89, before Ford had made many of the production adjustments of things like wire looms etc. I assure you that I had an arm that was black and blue from wrist to elbow from changing the right bank sparkplugs.

You did all of the hard stuff already...
I'm in SCal and your in the North
Just think of those guys back east and the mid west where it snows and rains alot, they have to fight every nut and bolt.
I see some posts of guys working on there cars and the underside looks... well.... Bad.
So I'm so glad to be under a California SC

Yea and i was like you, when younger as well. I remember getting under the tranny laying in the garage and lifting it up to fit it into the bell housing.
We didn't have tranny jacks back then.
I was just under the SC last week swapping out the exhaust,for a flow master.
A little spray of wd40 and the manifold blots and the nuts came right off.
I'll bet the guys back east would be pulling the manifolds the fix broke bolts.

Like i said you have all of the hard stuff done, now wash and wax it and cruise it around.:D

Later
Tony

i work at a shop where we do alignments and such, we have the acetylene torch there at all times, because bolts are rusted and you got to heat them up and still fight with them, the snow and salt kills the cars out here by chicago!! I would do anything to live somewhere else where it dont snow!!

Last edited:
If you have a lift, the best way to do that kind of stuff is unbolt the K-member and lower that when doing motor mounts, exhaust, various type stuff.

Back