new engine noise

Gerry Rider

My '89 engine has started making a pretty load noise like -- ka-tonk, ka-tonk, ka-tonk --- tracking with engine rpm. Seems louder under the car near the oil pan. I suspect a failed rod bearing. Anyone have another idea?
Gerry

Check the crank pulley bolts and make sure they are all still there. 2 of the crank pulley bolts sheared off on my black xr7 and it sounded just like it had a rod knock and sounded like it was coming from the pan.

All 4 crank bolts are there and tight. That would have been too easy. Right now I'm trying to get to the valve covers so I can check for a stuck lifter or bent pushrod.
Thanks
Gerry

Mine was making a bad noise that when under the car I couldn't tell if it was from the oil pan or the transmission. I double checked to make sure my torque converts nuts were tight and the problem went away for a day then came back louder. Turned out I had a broken flex plate.

I shot a cell phone video while under the car. You can hear the noise it was making.

http://chapters.tccoa.com/va/misc/clatter.3g2

Jason,
Thanks a lot for going to all the trouble of recording and posting the sound. My noise is not quite as metalic, but it's real close to the sound you recorded. what is a flexplate, not familiar with that term?
Gerry

Jason,
What is a flexplate, not familiar with that term?
Gerry

For autos, the flexplate bolts to the crank and then the torque converter bolts to the flexplate. In other words, it connects the tranny to the rotating assembly. Manuals have a flywheel/clutch assembly.

I just checked your member page and see you have a 5-speed. I guarantee then that it is not a flexplate issue. :D

Last edited:
Yea, if you've got a manual then you don't have a broken flexplate. :D

When I spun a rod bearing it sounded some thing like the video but it wasn't as harsh sounding. Could be time for a rebuild for you.

new noise

Found the noise. Really strange. The rear engine cover, heavy sheetmetal plate between the engine and transmission, had gotten bent where it protrudes on the bottom. Don't know how it happened, but distorted enough so it was hitting slightly and making a noise. Straightened the edge and noise went away.
Gerry

Back