Need Help, Doing Cutch Today

Ironsam63

I've done a search but how do you take out the clutch line from the side of the trans? It calls for a special tool but can't find it at auto parts store. Can someone tell me how to do it w/o the tool or what I can use? Thanks.

use a flat screw driver and push in white plastic clip while keeping slight pulling pressure on hose when doing this then pull out should slip out easy

Spray the area with brake clean so you can see the white sleeve. it's a thick plastic sleave that goes around the fitting. You push that sleeve in so that it will press metal fingers in, that are currently sticking out and holding the fitting in.

Once you have the fitting clean, soak it down with a penetrating oil or wd-40, then take two flat blade screw drivers and carefully work to push the sleeve in. Take your time so you don't wreck it. You should only be able to see about 1/8th or less of the white sleeve when it is fully inserted. Then grab ahold of the line and twist and tug. Hopefully it'll pull free. It's a self sealing fitting so you shouldn't see much fluid come out.

Thanks guys that worked! One other question, I've read the write-up on here about unbolting the back U-joint but the driveshaft won't go high enough to go over the differential, What should I do? Thanks again guys, I've only got today and tommorrow.

just remove u joint at trany yoke forget the drive shaft removal all ya need is a good sized C clamp and a pair needle nose or snap ring plier to remove the
clips"AKA snap rings " aka cerclips" that way yoke stays in trans and no oil spill but thats just the way i do it . Im old school real old school

If you lower the differential down it will give you just enough room to slide the driveshaft back over the differential and out of the tailhousing.

yep.. lower the diff by backing off the 4 nuts that mount it to the subframe. Let it go down until the axles rest on the lower control arm.

Thanks again guys. I only took the front two bolts out and it wasn't enough. So I took out the back two also and got it (what a pain in the a$$). Would it be the best to put the trans and driveshaft in and then the rear end since the driveshaft bolts to it or is there an other,easier way?

I had the trans in first, then inserted the driveshaft into the trans, then jacked the diff back up and bolted that on. Seemed to be the easiest way. And yes, those rear two bolts are way too tight on there.

Got the clutch and trans back in yesterday and just finished putting my exhaust back in today. Just wanted to THANK the guys who helped me out with the info. It wasn't easy doing it all by myself, but thanks for making things a little easier. Thanks, Sam

Back