What is this... thing?

tinman_72

So I finally have the '92 running. I am in the process of installing the wiper assembly and I am wondering about this thing that is attached to the passenger side cowl piece. (See attached pic.) More specifically, is there supposed to be something plugged into that white knob circled in the picture? It almost looks like there should be a vacuum line running into it but I haven't found a loose one anywhere.

Attachments

• whatisit.jpeg
    whatisit.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 148
im not sure what it is but my 90 didnt have anyting there either?? So i think its for decoration, lol.

thats the BAP sensor. The gray part over the nipple is to prevent you from installing a vac line to it. A map sensor looks almost identical, which requires a vac line for input. A BAP sensor uses outside air for it's pressure reference

yeah, makes your car run kinda funny if its unplugged, i couldn't figure out what was wrong with my car for a while till i noticed that wasn't plugged in, lol

Sean

yeah, makes your car run kinda funny if its unplugged, i couldn't figure out what was wrong with my car for a while till i noticed that wasn't plugged in, lol

Sean
Funny you should mention that. I had the cowl/wiper assemblies off of the car while I was trying to get it running. It ran fine without it but I thought the car seemed pretty weak, I was disappointed. Today I decided to put it the rest of the way together and found this sensor and once I plugged it in... lo and behold it has more power. Bonus: my check engine light is no longer on.:)

Funny you should mention that. I had the cowl/wiper assemblies off of the car while I was trying to get it running. It ran fine without it but I thought the car seemed pretty weak, I was disappointed. Today I decided to put it the rest of the way together and found this sensor and once I plugged it in... lo and behold it has more power. Bonus: my check engine light is no longer on.:)

I never got the chance to drive mine with it unplugged, but I know when I was trying to rev it, it had terrible throttle response, I would blip the gas pedal, and it would fall on its face then rev up, plugged her on in and it was all good to go, then my slave cylinder died. Lucky me.

Sean

Back