car broke down on the way to the SC picnic, engine codes... need help

BArtkowsky

my car broke down 7 miles from my house, on the way to the supercoupe picnic in new castle 9whic i went anyway without the car and it was awesome) It started hesitaitng, misfiring, backfiring, and the tach was jumping around over irratically(more irratically than when the cam sensor went) and then it died and wouldnt start again. When we got home from the picinic we scanned the codes and cam eup with:

118 coolant temp sensor above max voltage
172 Lean Bank 1
211 Profile Ignition Pickup circut failure
212 Loss of ignition diagnostic monitor input spark output circut grounded
215 Powertrain Control module detected coil 1 primary circut failure
217 Powertrain control module detected coil 3 primary circut failure

And also the fan code 564 which i already knew about this one.

Anyone have any ideas? Or had this happen to them?

It might actually be the dis module even though we just replaced it from auto zone about 2 or three months ago9and we did use heatsink compound when installing it) we tested the voltage to the dis as the troubleshooting section of the evtm factory manual stated and the votage checks out. So it may just be a bad DIS module after replacing it 2 or 3 months ago. I was thinking maybe the crank sensor bedfore we scanned it but it didnt give any check engin codes directly for it. Hopefully i can figure it out soon as my truck only gets 11 mpg :(

well if you think its a bad dis I would take it back to autozone, should be warrantied for a year right? maybe that will fix it....coolant sensor is probably corroded mine was and i kept getting low coolant level sense, scraped it with a screw driver and its cleared up now....so no way its the plugs wires or coil huh? loss of vacuum pressure?

i got a lifetime replacement on it, ive gone through 2 DIS modules since 2004 wheni bought it from auto zone. I replaced the coolant tems sensor by the a/c compressor about a year ago but i hear those can crap out alot too so maybe i'll get that replaced too, I'm using my free replacement warrantys before i have to spend a ton of money. I have to order the DIS takes a day to come in :(

Sounds like a bad DIS to me. Its either shorting out or over heating. Are you putting heat sink compound on the base where the DIS mounts?

One other thing to look into is maybe you have a bad ground and its causing your DIS failures.

Shane
Glynn Motorsports

ive been using heatsink compound, maybe there is a bad ground somewhere, nothing would supprise me at this point. Picking up my free repalcement DIS tomorrow

wellthe DIS worked, the bad one was put on brand new at the beginning of april, who would have thought it would have gone bad so soon, well thats a relief for now.....

yeah it sure did, well im off to work at Advance tonight here in a bit, lol, talk to younz later (and if you start wondering why i bought it at auto zone and not my job i bought the first one back in 2004 before i worked at my job) Take care

Last edited:
Back