steering pulsation on cornering

fatdaddy

does anyone experience pulsating steering when cornering? I've had all the suspension components replaced and still have the problem. Any suggestions?

if you have longtube headers sometimes they rub on the steering column. check your steering fluid level, hydraulic components like to pulsate when they're low. could be worn tires, an old belt that starting to slip... does it do it all the time including at high speeds?

My car does it too. It is stock. I notice it most when entering/exiting the interstate on the ramps. It's mostly a higher speed cornering thing. Have often wondered what it is.

benny

Could be the spooling valve in the steering rack sticking. Might want to flush the system and see if it helps. Did on mine.

You may want to look at your P/S pump. There is a 2 wire connector just below windshield washer reservoir that plugs into the pump. This is part of the EVO system where your steering is light at slow speed and stiffer at higher speeds. This was not plugged back in when I had my motor rebuilt and drove around for a couple of years like this. It wasn't until I was working on my 2nd S/C doing plugs and resealing I/C tubes that I noticed this connector hanging there figured out it went to the pump. I looked it up in the manual and then looked at my daily driver to find the same thing. Once I plugged it back in steering returned to normal feel again.

I've replaced p/s pump, hoses, fluid, tires, upper control arms, tie rods, and stabilizer links. Four wheel alignment. Believe or not the problem got worse. I'm thinking it's the EVO or something signaling it improperly. I had a 79 Lincoln Town Coupe (bought it new) after 3 years it developed the same problem. Never figured it out.

Anybody ever replaced the EVO to cure the problem?

are you using power steering fluid or transmission fluid?

if you think its the evo doing it just disconnect the harness.. that'll let you know real quick like

check that belt tension and the belt for cracks

Back