aod-hp problem

cachethunder

Hi. I buy sometime ago a used aod valve body with the aod-hp shift kit. Today i open the package because im ready to install. everything looks ok in the valve body. The hirev kit appears not installed ( step 1 2-3 shift valve ) but the springs come with the package. The white spring of the Accm valve is not installed ( less agressive shifts). My problem is in the 3rd Accm Piston in the housing ( page 6 on the manual ) The package doesnt have the BLUE SPRING just have the yellow one. I think the past owner forgot remove from his transmision and he dont install the yellow one ( less agresive shifts ).

1. What i do without this spring ??:mad::(
2. The hirev is good or bad for a thunderbird SC?
3. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

What brand shift kit was it? if it's a Trans Go I might be able to help you out.

hi. yes is transgo aod-hp. I dont have this spring. The blue one of the 3rd acummulator piston ( page 6 on the instructions book). You can install two spings if you want the full race. first blue and then on the blue put the yellow. I have the yellow one. But no the blue:(

Here's an idea....Call trans-go and ask them what will happen, or better yet order the blue spring :rolleyes:.

David

I live in Mexico, this is the problem....:( . I try to contact the only distributor here on mexico, and nothing. In the usa site just have contact by phone. I buy the valve body on ebay:eek:

I don't know this for sure, but that looks like the 2-3 accumulator... Most likely, the blue spring increases the pressure against the damper. So, if you don't install it, I would expect your 2-3 shift to be firmer than normal, but maybe not quite as hard as you might want. Unless you're putting down a lot more hp/torque, I wouldn't sweat it. I think your shifts will be plenty firm.

Remember, the HP kit is supposed to be "track" which means its going to be rather harsh to begin with.

The weakest point in an AOD transmission is the small input shaft that connects the torque converter to the direct clutch---its used in third and fourth gear---my advise is to use the slightly softer setting for the engagement into third---the transmission will last a lot longer----the guy who sold you the valve body may have done you a favor leaving that spring out so you don't break your transmission, I always build my AODs with a solid 1-2 shift and a slightly softer 2-3 shift..................Dan

The weakest point in an AOD transmission is the small input shaft that connects the torque converter to the direct clutch---its used in third and fourth gear---my advise is to use the slightly softer setting for the engagement into third---the transmission will last a lot longer----the guy who sold you the valve body may have done you a favor leaving that spring out so you don't break your transmission, I always build my AODs with a solid 1-2 shift and a slightly softer 2-3 shift..................Dan

Good advise Dan....I've seen a couple people break that inner shaft after installing shift kits. That's one of the reasons I went to a non locking converter and hardned inner shaft.

David

ok. thanks for the help.:D:) I did not know what happen without the spring. I will just install the valve body without the spring (step 2).
And for the governor hole?(step 1). What do you think?? :confused:

Last edited:
And for the governor hole?(step 1). What do you think?? :confused:
I would install whatever else is shown.. Are you missing any other pieces? Why'd you write on there "do not install yellow spring"?

BTW, if you change your mind, you can remove the 2-3 accumulator and change springs with the VB installed in the car. You don't have to remove the whole thing.

Last edited:
I would install whatever else is shown.. Are you missing any other pieces? Why'd you write on there "do not install yellow spring"?

BTW, if you change your mind, you can remove the 2-3 accumulator and change springs with the VB installed in the car. You don't have to remove the whole thing.

I do not write anything. Just come as is in the package. And just miss the blue spring. everything else come ok. thanks

Back