Help me with Wheel Selection for Father-Inlaw

dkirsch

Hello all. I hope you guys and gals can help me with my father in-laws '89 Mercury Cougar XR7. He would like to get new wheels and I don't want to recommend something that will have issues. He would like to get 15" wheels all around with a normal width up front (7" or so) with as wide as he can get in the rear with a "drag" looking style street tire (like G60-15's or similar, that's what he likes). He has no brake upgrades and does not plan on upgrading them and has a stock ride height. What do you all recommend for a width in the front and rear and what offset? How wide can he get in the rear with the tires similar to the G60 style tire?

TIA

Dave

Without changing the bolt pattern of the wheels most people on this site run a 17x9 or 18x9 with a +36mm offset. Tires sizes range from a 245/45/17 or 255/45/17 and 245/40/18 or 255/40/18. I don't know of any aftermarket rims with a t-bird bolt pattern in a 15" or 16" rim.

Selection in 15" will be very limited. Tire Rack is only showing 5 different styles, and they are all 6.5" wide.

If he goes to maybe something like billet Centerline wheels, he might find wider stuff, but I have no idea if they still offer anything in 5 on 4.25".

cheers
Ed N.

Thank you all very much for your replies. I will let him know his options. I was trying to get him to at least get a 17" wheel. Who knows, we will see. I'll let you all know what we end up doing. Thanks again everyone.

Dave

i have some 18s on my car with 245/45/18's ,speedo is dead on and they look great

l_81d88f9766bb2f0c9f8e7cb46b53b4e2.jpg

Do yourself a favor. Regardless of size, do Not get "polished aluminum" wheels if you drive the car frequently. They require frequent cleaning to prevent permanent discolored pitting that essentially ruins them.

Cheers
Bob

Thanks again everyone. This car isn't even on the road yet and when it is it will only be driven occasionally. I have a tech question into summit because he likes some wheels and tires in their mag. We will see what happens.

decipha - I would love for him to get a setup like what you posted but he is not into the larger wheels :confused: To me nothing looks better than a nice set of large wheels, but to him it's a different story.

Dave

If he converted to a mustang bolt pattern he can get an unlimited size of 15" tires...I assume he like the tall tire fat/skinny look. You wont ever get that with a 16 or 17 inch rim especially with whats offered for us

Back