great, leak in a rear brake line...how should i fix the prob?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
So the day I went to get tags for the 95 i'm driving back from the MVA thinking...all is good, i'll finally wash the car and start fixing little things here and there....WRONG. Next thing you know pedal goes soft and im about to crash in teh back of a semi truck. :mad: It's not even an early car with the pesky teves mark II system...its a 95!

Long story short, i limped home and just today i got under the car and there is a leak in the line that goes to the passinger's rear tire. The leak is right in the middle of the car where the line crosses from the drivers rear to the passingers rear side. Its right above the differential. The leak appears to have surfaced right where there is a plastic clip holding the line to the frame.

Now im thinking...do I have to replace the entire long line from the front of the car to the rear passingers tire? Or can I cut the line somewhere and just splice another piece of line with the proper fitings?

Any suggestions appreciated.

You have the options of either replacing the whole line with a pre-made one from Ford (if you can get it), bending your own line and replacing the whole thing, or cutting out the damaged section and using couplers to splice in a new piece.

If you splice in a piece, it's important to use the proper type of flare and fitting (45-degree double flare or bubble flare, but not a single flare). No compression fittings, ever. I think the coupler would be something like this:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1991,13_Inverted-Flare-Coupler.html

If you bend the line yourself, pay special attention to the flare types used at each end. I think at least some of these line ends use metric bubble flares, which require a different tool. But there are some SAE double flares mixed in there too, at least on the early cars.

Here are your instructions for flaring:
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/50919/index.html

thanks for the help man, i'm going to try to look for the full line....if not im goign to try replacing only the spot where the leak originated.

Back