PDA

View Full Version : cam sensor

chrisdaddy
09-12-2002, 06:33 AM
does anybody know what happens when a cam sensor goes bad?

Thanks

Steve Richards
09-12-2002, 09:13 AM
My car was running rough, kinda like it was missing after the engine warmed up. The tach was racing up and down.
It was fine when the engine was cold.

During a diagnostic check, the mechanic thought that the ignition module or coil pack was acting up. When I swapped those, there was no change.

A new cam sensor solved the problem. I am told that cam sensors and crank sensors do not show codes when they fail. A symptom of a bad crank sensor is that you would have a problem starting the car intermittantly at first and eventually it won't start. (This is assuming you do not have a low battery or faulty starter.)

If you post a little more detail of what you are experiencing, someone may be able to give you the appropriate advice.

Good luck!

Aaron Pedroza
09-12-2002, 01:00 PM
Usually you'll lose your tach intermittently and it will have a hard start. What I mean by a hard start is that it won't at all or it will start fine because it is a trial and error for the computer to figure out what cylinders to fire.

chrisdaddy
09-12-2002, 05:26 PM
I was having the same problem with the tach up and down... and it felt like my ignition was missing and the mechanic couldnt find a code so he said he thought it was the cam sensor. She runs fine. Another good thing came out of it , I went ahead and bought my own diagnostic code reader (YEAH).

Thanks for all of the help
Chrisdaddy