oil problem

sprchkn

i changed and filled my oil when i changed my crank sensor, that was almost a month ago and this morning i have barely enough oil to go get more. i put about 4 qts in. has anyone else had this problem, is it burning oil or losing it somewhere. there is not a leak cuz there is nothing on the road. just trying to see if this has happened to anyone else. it is a daily driver and i had to miss a class today because of it. suggestions wanted.

"our cars take 5qts...not 4"

I think he meant that he had to add 4-qts to get it back to the full mark.

The oil must be going somewhere, so is the car blowing a bunch of smoke? Have you put the car up on a lift or jackstands and looked underneath for signs of oil leaks? Is there oil in the coolant? (don't even want to suggest that, but....) Could someone be yanking your chain (you got any buds that like to play practical jokes?)

A gallon of oil lost in a month is gonna leave some clues as to where its coming from.......

im not blowing any smoke, it is possible there is a leak but there is none on the street where i park. most of my friends are car guys and they wouldnt do anything like that because i could get even by doing something to their muscle cars. i have no idea what could be doing this

well if my dipstick is worn than my gauge is on the fritz too. it would read in the red and the check gauge light would be on

Just check the level every day watching for some rapid loss.

4 qts lost, no oil on the ground, no oil on the engine, and no smoke from the exhaust leaves only one other possibility. Someone is messing with you.

Check under the car for the undercarrige to be all wet with oil. If not.. Just watch it.

Mystery oil loss

I had two (2) sources of oil loss which took some sleuthing to track down:

1. Pressure sender unit was cracked.. would drip with the engine running, but not with the engine off. Took a flashlight to actuallly see the drips coming down. Replaced the sender.

2. Valve cover gaskets leaked some near the back. Tightened up the bolts some. Don't want to overtighten these as they are soft metal.

I used to burn a quart a month, the smoke was only noticeable under heavy acceleration. Next time you goose the throttle off the line, bring the RPM's way up real fast and watch your rear view for any smoke.

BTW.....nice one about the worn out dipstick. I used to work in a small garage and some guy came in with a tranny grinding into second gear....I convinced him it was the shifter knob...he bought one. lol

about the dipstick..

It sounds funny about the dipstick, but don't take it wrong. These things actually can wear out... the seal which makes contact with the metal tub its inserted to can dry out and cause masive oil leaks, which can go almost unoticed. This has happened to several people now, and it wont leak when you're stopped! Also check the oil filler cap for same thing.

next time i start worrying i look a little harder. turns out the sensor for the gauge was loose so that was causing the gauge to mess up and the actual oil was only about i quart under. everything is fixed now. thanks

no i checked it thats why i filled it in the first place. it was under the crosshatch and was barely on there.

Back