I was feeling good then...

XxSlowpokexX

Well Thsi weekend I tidied up a few SC related issues..BAd door hinge...Starter...WASHED IT..Cleaned teh crap outta it...

Was looking good....Driving home from GF's house an older style M3 started playing with me. Just kept starring at my car and revving a bit. So I deciede to see what happens. From a 5mph role I gunned it (Mind you no 2nd gear) and it chirpped a few times and just took off..SOmething about those 285 Nittos.(both relatively new)...So I really just did a 1st to third gear shuffle..

He pulls up and goes ~~~ do you have in that thing...I said exhaust..He said I heard an SC>>I said yeh they come stock that way..HE couldnt believe it. The tune I threw in is safe but the transfer function may be a bit off as i get a lil bit of a stumble when gunning it...

So Im on my way home at a stop sign..I go hmmm..HAvent really launched it yet..Lets see what it does......Rev to about 3000...slip it out.....chirp chirp chirp BANG BANG BANG@#@*()^#)&*^#&_#

I dunno if I blew my CV joint, universal....I have no idea...

I get it home (two blocks away) thumping and clunking....

Go inside..Get a flashlight from pablo....Look underneath.....

I ripped the rear IRS mount and teh IRS was cocked upwars in the front...DOwn in the back....

UNBELIEVABLE....Never seen anything like it..I had even checked it this weekend when doing starter...The outer metal actually tore

So Thsi weeks project..Put poly rear diff mount in@

Gotta love these cars

Sounds like you found the first weak link on the drivetrain. Beefing that up will likely move the next weak link on your Drive-train. It must have you thinking that soon after you are using a SPEC Stage III clutch you are now breaking things. Be careful thats all I am saying.

Also did you figure out the second gear problems, your post seems to not mention problems shifting into it.

YA misse dmy first to third shuffle?....

No second..

Well I didnt power shift however I think the huge 285's may have played a role in this mishap....If I had dumped teh clutch or power shifted I could blame the clutch..

Anyways Think Ill do my CObra rear diff (3.27) with teh aluminum druveshaft soon...The gearing may help taking off with teh aluminum flywheel a bit better

Does autozone or anyone carry the front diff mounts..

Dont do 327s I did not like them at all. 3.08 for FTW.

$4.30 a gal for premium. Dint you know. :rolleyes:

Rear bushing ripping is very odd but I guess you can be be a first.
Dont do poly unless you like changing them often. Rubbers last longer but will give you play.
I would do aluminum fronts and make a new rear solid. With bolts or welding.

Good luck with what you decide. I have 285s too I have not ripped the rear end yet. :rolleyes:

Well I had poly in my old Red SC..After three sets I kNOW never to get them again.

I will have a photo up of the bushing later tonight.

Im doing 3.27's because I dont care about MPG at this point..The 94/95 tranny does have a better first gear..I hate the luminm flywheel! and becuse I have it already! (THE #1 reson)...If I hate it down the line I may do a gear swap. Then again Im already thinking 6 speed swap

What do 94 5 speeds come with factory? I never looked

soem photos..May have busted a gas tank strap as well..Cant get up under there till I jack it up but....Housing didnt crack though I may need to reshape a bracket or two....Look at the money shot hahaha

Attachments

• P7150269.JPG
    P7150269.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 185
  • P7150270.JPG
    P7150270.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 174
soem photos..May have busted a gas tank strap as well..Cant get up under there till I jack it up but....Housing didnt crack though I may need to reshape a bracket or two....Look at the money shot hahaha

I have steel and I have a welder. I would suggest trying to find a new bracket so the car isnt sitting on the lift til Sunday by the time we get something fabricated. :D

Master cylinder on the Marauder first!

Im nto to worried about the strap..I can make something up.....The front mounts may have just bent the bolts....Ill be putting the new mount in before even attempting to get it to your shop. And Ill be bringing my new pumpkin with me!

Call about that Stang alternator yet?...Sucks having a phone out of commision haha

Impressive damage.

You hate the flywheel cause you dont have second. :D

Lugging around in third sucks. You have to fix what broken before fully getting the feel for it, You also probably need a good tune.

327s is not really enought if you stick a T56 anyways. You are going to do things over and over again. Learn from my mistakes and you will be happier. But some people just like to hit the pavement when they fall to really get it.

3.27s is not worth the gas mileage you are going from 2.73s to 3.27s I did not like it, Plus you will likely start to have overheating problems when on the highway since you will be taching out in 5th gear.

Go with 3.08 of just fix what broke and fix 2nd. Then assess

taching out in fifth??? COOMMOONNEE!!!

Seriously what I dont like about the aluminum flywheel is the fact that I need to rev it to take off..On a hill its a big PIA. The rear has 3.27's...So Its not as though Ill be doing it again IF I dont like it. The aluminum cobra rear goes in..Its already done..No cost on my behalf

2nd gear ...After I fix this mess the car sgoingv to my tranny guy to fix it..I also just icked up a 40,000 mile 5 speed from a 94..s a spare..May just throw that in

As far as tuning...It has a base tune for my injectors and MAF..Definitely needs to be tweaked..But runs good

One thing I do like about the flywheel is how it revs once you are moving.

Ill have an update this weekend Im sure

Last edited:
That sucks, Damon. Glad to see you're happy on it's performance, though.

BTW, I have stock differential bushings in my car. 190K miles, too.

The crazy thing is that the diff went FORWARD. I have seen pictures of broken diff covers when the diff torqued and rotated, but never anything quite like that.

Damon it looks like there is rust in the tear of the metal. I wonder if it hadn't already started to fail a long time ago.

Twin turbos must be too much for this rear..ugg

Seriously though. I was just looking at this over the weekend and all looked fine. I think that picture rust wise may be misleading but I will find out when I really get a good look at it. For now Im going to try to get the rear straightened out enough to move it..I drove home liek that BTW..Well two blocks

Well put my poly rear diff mount in and all wasnt that bad under there. Most likely swapping pumpkins in a few hours and doing the front diff busgings if I can find them somewhere. DOes seem as wa smentioned that thee was a hairline crack in one side of teh bushing probably from that awefull day at teh track I had last year..Hoppity hop hop...So with the new power it just kina tore that side and the other

More pics later:O)

I think we are ALL missing the big picture here....DAMON HAS A GIRLFRIEND.....FINALLY:D:D:D

Seriously though, I have been considering a solid mount for a LONG time. The problem is keeping it from breaking like that. Do you have poly front mounts or are they still rubber.

Chris

I feel for ya brother my black sc did this only wosererer a year ago sticky tires 4500 launch nw asphalt took out the bracket the axles the dive shaft the diff bolts an cracked the case of diff and split a cv joint made a ugly mess

Back