brake problem

BrentSC

hey guys, on my 90 sc under the brake fluid container theres some sort of pump or something im not sure what its called but when i stopped at a red light i could hear it really working making a strange noise. i stopped at a gas station and when the car was off it was still making noise like pumping or something. my brake and antilock lights have been comming on and off every once in awhile. i can also feel my brakes pumping ofton i can feel it in the brake petal i guess its keeping the pressure in the system. if anyone has a clue whats going on or can hook me up with some used parts or new that would be great thanks alot!

Brent

It's your ABS pump motor......

Is it running all the time the key is on?

Are you leaking any brake fluid.....

Sounds like the "brown" relay is stuck.
On firewall, passenger side, you will have two or three relays-they can be a bit hard to spot. The brown colored one is stuck. If you unplug it, the motor should turn off.
Now go buy a new ABS relay at your auto parts store.

Nick

Odds are the Accumulator is Shot... Which causes the ABS Pump to turn on more often then it should or all the time the brakes are pressed (depending on it's true condition)
Which in turn will cause the ABS pump relay to stick on (the arcing from turn on/off allot will finally weld the contacts in the closed position)

Even thou it may to be too late now.. Removing the fuse under the hood (should be labeled `ABS pump' ?? ) will least not allow it to drain the battery..

And buy yourself a New ABS pump Relay ($20-30??) replace that.. and see if the Pump motor cycles..

If the pump turns on on the first pressing of the brake pedal.. replace the Accumulator (Saddly @$300?) Since if you do not replace it.. You brakes will never truly work `right' and you'll burn out the ABS pump relay again soon enough..

OR you can just convert over to `normal' non ABS brakes...

Back