Tires.....

Ira R.

Well, it's time I put a set of tires on the '95. The old rubber is starting to show wear pretty badly now. I did a quick search to see if there were any recent discussions about tires but found nothing relevant. So I decided to reserect what I am sure is a well worn topic and I am now looking to get everyone's opinion. Probably a mistake but hey, that's what these forums are all about right? :D

Current tire size is the stock 225x60x16 on stock wheels. Dont' bother trying to convince me to change the wheel size or anything like that. Stock wheels. That's what the car has. One item of note, the car does not need to have a great all-weather tire. The only time it sees rain is if I happen to be out with the car when the rain comes. It never sees snow.

And I will start by saying that the Dunlop 3000 that are on the car seem pretty okay but they weren't anything special. A bit of a noisy ride at times, okay in wet weather and they handle the power okay but I will not be purchasing a new set of them because they seem to have worn awfully fast. So I'm looking for more options.

Ira

I've marked to follow this as well. I'm looking for stock sized tires that will give the best grip of the planet.

Frit

Check These out!

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?c=3&sw=false&cs=235&pc=40092&rd=16&ar=55

Ira,
My brother has a set of these things and man are they nice. They wear very well, and get great traction. The only down side is that they only come in the 235/55 verison which will maintain the correct ride height and be just a tad wider with no ill effects.

A very nice tire in my opinion for the price.

I personally have the Nitto Extreme NT-555 in the 255/45/17 verison, not sure if they have them in a size closer to the original size or not, but I love mine as well.

Smitty

Last edited:
I can recommend any of these tires. I didn't think I would like the Firehawks as much as I do. They are very quiet, great handling and decent traction for that car. I can't say how they would do with ~double the HP. :)

White SC - Nitto NT-555 (came on the car) - high performance summer tire
Black SC - Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals - high performance summer tire
GS400 - Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S Pole Position - high performance All Seasons

I didn't check to see if any of these come in stock SC tire size.

Go Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals and don't look back. You'll have some of the best handling out there and in case you get caught in the wet, you can still cruise at 60mph in a downpour that'll have truckers pulling over.

Nitto 555 Extreme ZR radials aren't available in a 225/60-16. I'm not even sure if the DR version is. :rolleyes:

[bump]

Well I think I want to go with the 235x60-16. A touch taller in the wheel well and a bit wider stance. Not a lot, but just enough I think.

So I've narrowed the list down but I still can't decide which tire will give me good all-around performance.

Ira

Well if you knew that the Extreme 555r arent you certainly should know the drag radials arent because you apparently looked up the size chart!

I had 245/50/16's which are shorter then stock.
Stock SC tires are pretty innexpensive nowadays..Check Tire rack they have a great selection

Well if you knew that the Extreme 555r arent you certainly should know the drag radials arent because you apparently looked up the size chart!

I had 245/50/16's which are shorter then stock.
Stock SC tires are pretty innexpensive nowadays..Check Tire rack they have a great selection

No drag radials. I have been to the tirerack and a few other places too. Prices are all reasonable I just can't decide which tire to go with that's all. At some point I'm just going to have to close my eyes and point I guess because there doesn't really seem to be that much difference between them. Except maybe for the $60 difference in price of some of them.

So is a $160 tire that much better than a $100 tire??

Ira

Ira,

A few years ago I put on Toyo Proxes T1-S (not made anymore) on the rears with the size 245/55/16. It was the widest tire I could find that fit the rim and was very close to stock height. I love them. They are STICKY when dry but a little slippery when wet. I don't think that model is offered any more but similar ones are. Take a look at Toyo. On the front I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in the stock size which are fine too.

jon

At stock tire size you can only get these in high performance category:

Dunlop SP Sport 01 $106
Dunlop SP Sport 2000E %158
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval $108
Fuzion ZRi $79
Sumitomo HTR Z II $67

At stock tire size you can only get these in high performance category:

Dunlop SP Sport 01 $106
Dunlop SP Sport 2000E %158
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval $108
Fuzion ZRi $79
Sumitomo HTR Z II $67

I've decided I'm stepping up a touch from stock size for the rear. 235x60x16 Goodyear Eagles. A little taller, a little wider, just enough to fill the wheel well a little more then the stock wheel does.

They're not strictly a high performance tire, but then again if David N's experience is any indication there will be occasions when I'm not going to be really gripping the road without a strip tire of some type anyway. So I've decided to go with a combination of good traction, comfort and ride noise.

It is still a street car after all :D

Ira

I have been in the process of stipping the paint off my stock
95's and polishing the aluminum. What a pain in the a&^. The car has been sitting for the last year and the tires are shot from the Fla sun. I looked at the toyo 245 55's and really like the look of them. They are expensive but that really doesn't bother me too much. I was thinking of them on all 4 wheels. But you gave me the idea of having the 245 55's on the rear and stock 225 on the fronts or 235's ont the front. Any thoughts?

I have been in the process of stipping the paint off my stock
95's and polishing the aluminum. What a pain in the a&^. The car has been sitting for the last year and the tires are shot from the Fla sun. I looked at the toyo 245 55's and really like the look of them. They are expensive but that really doesn't bother me too much. I was thinking of them on all 4 wheels. But you gave me the idea of having the 245 55's on the rear and stock 225 on the fronts or 235's ont the front. Any thoughts?

Well, as far as I'm concerned it's all personal taste. I like the profile of the tires you are talking about. But my car isn't lowered at all so I decided to look for a slightly taller tire that's all. I like the idea of offsetting the tires sizes.

Ira

I know what you mean. I like the look of alot of tire. I was looking at the 235's from tire rack and the section width, I think that is what they call it, was only a tad smaller than the 245s.

Will 235's change the speedo. I was looking at the 245 55's because they have about the same diameter size. I will probably change my mind 10 times before I actually buy them.:confused:

Back