?????????

pickel69

i need help i am just wondering if and how to make the sc run cooler everything is stock i am running half water half coolent and a bottle of water wetter the fan is working good but the car just runs very hot

nope everything is new just built the moter and it runs great bottle is full just runs hot i m just askin if there s a way to make them run cooler

If you have a stock setup, then get a 180 tstat and a chip to lower the fan on temps. The low speed fan doesn't come on until 220F in a stock setup.

Frit

Is it positive that there are no air pockets in the system? and how hot is hot?

On a 90* day here in Pa, I'll be running around 200* while driving.

If everything is stock, then just make sure that the system is in new condition. Check the simple things like:
- Is the radiator confirmed to be clean? Inside AND out?
- Is the air deflector under the facia in place? Gotta have that.
- Are the radiator hoses old, and collapsing internally at temperature?
- Is the pressure cap the correct pressure, and functioning correctly?
- Is the thermostat functioning correctly, and of the right temperature specification?
- Has all the air been purged out of the system while filling by loosening the air bleed bolt?
- Are there any internal cooling passage obstructions in the block or heads?
- Is the fan functioning correctly? Motor bearings, connectors, etc?

This has worked for me:

180 Deg. F. thermostat
25% ethylene glycol
75% distilled water
1 bottle of WaterWetter
(*Warning - This blend WILL freeze in Toledo in the winter time; change to 50%/50% for winter)

With this, I have no overheating in S. Texas summers, sitting in traffic, with the A/C on. But, the car is stock, original, and in excellent condition.

Good Luck,

JD

Good to see you back posting JD.

What makes you think the car is actually running hot? Where does the gauge come up to on the "NORM"? In stock form my Thunderbirds always ran at the N in the the hot summer heat. At worst in traffic jams up to the beginning of O.

my sc's normal running temp is always at the M in NORM. but im sure even the same stock gauge can be off some since they dont read like a real gauge.

You can test the output voltage from the coolant sensor on the thermostat housing. Do this when you first start it and at operating temperature and post your results.

Mine is doing the same thing.....

Does you engine run hotter the faster you drive.....

Mine runs at normal operating temp with the fan on all the time......

However, when I am on the highway at 70 to 80, she runs warmer than I would like.....

I am going to replace the radiator and see if that cures the problem.....

regular driving the temp is at the m sitting at stop lights it gets between the m and red but starts to go back down havent had time to see if its the fan making it go down or the thermostat but hoses r new thermostat is new cap is new whaterpump is new block was cleaned by a machine shop intake was cleaned by me and i made sure i didnt get anything in it during install basically just rebuilt the whole motor everything is new but the sc

Sound like you're having the same issue as myself and a few others. My 95 SC ran at the M all the way from Florida to Connecticut in August of 2006. I thought that was normal. It didn't seem to be over heating and the performance was good. I don't drive the car that often. Last year the radiator blew and has been replaced with a new one. It still ran in the M after the replacement of the radiator and a thermostat. Since then I've put less then 1000 miles on it. This spring it ran hot and the check gage came on so I'm doing the head gasket job as recommended along with all hose replacement and a water pump. I haven't torn the heads off yet but should be done before fall sets in. I'll let you know what I find.

My car is doing the same thing right now, it will stay at the N with the A/C on and that fan on full blast but as soon as I start idiling due to my WONDERFUL under drive pullies it starts to heat up.

No bubbles, white smoke, milkey coolant, etc - my head gaskets are fine.

I also have a boost leak on the SMIC, I'm wondering if thats supercharging the intake air charge so much that its causing my motor to run hot because the moment I let off the gas (NOT EVEN IN BOOST) it seems to run better heat wise.

My coolant sensor was also rubbish the last time I looked at it, the tstat was leaking and leaked on the sensor and corroded it but I just cleaned it off so mine could be bad.

My car is doing the same thing right now, it will stay at the N with the A/C on and that fan on full blast but as soon as I start idiling due to my WONDERFUL under drive pullies it starts to heat up.

No bubbles, white smoke, milkey coolant, etc - my head gaskets are fine.

I also have a boost leak on the SMIC, I'm wondering if thats supercharging the intake air charge so much that its causing my motor to run hot because the moment I let off the gas (NOT EVEN IN BOOST) it seems to run better heat wise.

My coolant sensor was also rubbish the last time I looked at it, the tstat was leaking and leaked on the sensor and corroded it but I just cleaned it off so mine could be bad.

Many of these cars that are having this problem had the radiator, thermostat, Coolant Temperature sensor just to name a few replaced. Several of us are trying to root cause. Hope I can. Right now it’s 94 in the shade so I’m in the pool for the day.

try changing your temp senser,the one next to thermostat housing the one that works the guadge,mine would only go up to the first line past cold,replaced the temp collent senser,no change,replaced the senser to guadge,now reads n on normal,and mine is also bone stock,except for a shift kit in tanny.i also tried the 180 stat it ran between m and a,put back 190 stat stays at n,no matter what the temp outside is or city or open road.also i run straight antifreze,no water in all my vehichles,never had a problem with it.i change it every 2 years.

Back