PDA

View Full Version : Good news, bad news

Stupid Canuck
07-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Went from Vancouver, BC to see the Portland Historics and get the car dyno'd. 287 rwhp/ 367 ft-lbs. Not bad for a ported stock blower and .500 cam on a hot day. Could probably do 300 with a plenum and TB. Mail order chip from Dave did good and further tuning wasn't necessary. Did two runs, first with the 5%, then the 10%. The smaller pulley only added 5 hp and 7 ft-lbs, mostly at the bottom end.

Bad news is the engine didn't survive. Started to squeal during acceleration within blocks of leaving. Pulled over and swapped back the 5% and that seemed to work until the highway. Then it started to knock. Got it towed back to the shop and left it there. Not sure how bad the damage is yet but it's definately down deep. No holes. It's a long way from home but couldn't be in much better hands. ~~~~ happens.

thunderkid84
07-17-2008, 01:16 PM
sorry to hear that man.

why it that everyone's car break after hitting the dyno ??

kenewagner
07-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Went from Vancouver, BC to see the Portland Historics and get the car dyno'd. 287 rwhp/ 367 ft-lbs. Not bad for a ported stock blower and .500 cam on a hot day. Could probably do 300 with a plenum and TB. Mail order chip from Dave did good and further tuning wasn't necessary. Did two runs, first with the 5%, then the 10%. The smaller pulley only added 5 hp and 7 ft-lbs, mostly at the bottom end.

Bad news is the engine didn't survive. Started to squeal during acceleration within blocks of leaving. Pulled over and swapped back the 5% and that seemed to work until the highway. Then it started to knock. Got it towed back to the shop and left it there. Not sure how bad the damage is yet but it's definately down deep. No holes. It's a long way from home but couldn't be in much better hands. **it happens.

Had the samething happen last year to me. Dynoed the car early in the year than trailered it home. Got home and drove it a couple of miles and it locked up. Had blown the headgasket months before that and Im sure antifreeze working on already worn out bearings killed it off. I found a used short block with very low milage from a fellow SCer and got it going again. It cost a lot once you start down the dark side, modifying these cars:rolleyes:

David Neibert
07-17-2008, 01:43 PM
sorry to hear that man.

why it that everyone's car break after hitting the dyno ??

The dyno or the track will put a much bigger load on the motor than what most people do when driving their cars on the street. I beat on my cars pretty regularly on the street without worry, but I still listen very closely for any signs of damage after every pull on the dyno or pass down the track.

David

XxSlowpokexX
07-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Sorry to hear that. What are you going to do?

Stupid Canuck
07-17-2008, 05:28 PM
It should get back on the road somehow. I've got too much invested in it already but there is a limit. Would rather avoid a reman.

I'm back home now but Travis at Fast Specialties has lots of experience and is much faster than me. Got temp insurance for an old Bronco II that I was planning to fix up and give to my niece for college.

XxSlowpokexX
07-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Well goodluck. Just keep in mind when and if you do get a new motor put in that you check the AF ratio. Even if the tune was on the money a new motor would definitely be a new variable. Good luck dude

getblown
07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
The dyno or the track will put a much bigger load on the motor than what most people do when driving their cars on the street. I beat on my cars pretty regularly on the street without worry, but I still listen very closely for any signs of damage after every pull on the dyno or pass down the track.

David

Good to see I'm not the only one sensingly listening to the beating I'm giving it.:)

Stupid Canuck
07-20-2008, 04:13 PM
History of the dead.
5% vs 10%

Stupid Canuck
07-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Not that bad... just spun a bearing. No damage to block, crank or anything else.