PDA

View Full Version : Will SC halfshafts work with LX brake drums?

LXSC
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
So will SC halfshafts work with LX brake drums? If so, do the halfshafts slide out of the SC caliper and everything as easily as they slide out of the differential or do I need to detach that big nut in the center of the rotor? Thanks for the help.

Agentorange88
07-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm 90% sure that they will work with an LX. As far as getting the shaft out you will need to take the axle nut off (Big nut in the center of the rotor), then pull the brake caliper, the mounting bracket for it, the rotor and the knuckle off. The knuckle is just three bolts you have one on the top and two at the bottom. After you get all that loose all you should have to do it try and pry it out at the base. Only way I can think of without damaging the CV joints. If you aren't worried about the joints and are going to have new joints put in you could just give the shaft a good yank and it should come right out.

decipha
07-18-2008, 10:27 PM
supercoupe shafts and v8 shafts are the same, only the n/a 3.8 birds and cats got the weaker shafts.

btw, its showing two different part numbers for manual trany and auto trany cv half shafts, the v8s have the same part number as the manual trany shafts.

Agentorange88
07-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Well the guys over at TCCOA tend to "upgrade" to SC shafts so one would assume that the 4.6 shafts are the same as the N/A 3.8s. I thought that the M8 and SC shafts were the same. And the base and LX shafts were thinner and were a bit weaker. I do know that the manuals had slightly thicker/stronger shafts than the autos though. None the less the search function should clear most of it up.

LXSC
07-20-2008, 08:09 PM
I was hoping that would be the case. I've got the SC halfshafts removed but they are still connected by those large axle nuts. Any suggestions on how to remove them? I'm thinking I should probably not just drop it into a vice and try cranking off bolts.

Agentorange88
07-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Those nuts are supposed to be torqued down to 250 ft/lbs so that might be a bit of a problem. You can give it a shot just don't tear up the splines on the end of the shaft. Your best bet might be putting it back in the rear end and then trying to get it off that way you can't damage the splines.

LXSC
07-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I think I'll just bring them in with me to the shop when I go to get the rear end and suspension done. Hopefully I can just point and say put those in that car, capesh? :D