1.33L autorotor??

92bird

*Update* found out the unit we have is a 1.33L, part number OA 3133.

My friend is putting a 3.8L SC engine in his Merkur XR4Ti and picked up this remanufactured autorotor for a reasonable price. It was originally part of a Chevy 454 v8 kit. It has a "whipple superchargers" sticker on the side, but says "Opcon - Autorotor 1.4" on the case

His engine will be identical to my engine, stock '95 bottom end, dr fred ported stock valve heads, and the infamous .520 212/218 cam..

The big question is, will this supercharger be any better than using a ported '95 M90 supercharger?? Also, how fast can it be spun? He will have a very nice front mount IC setup.

He will need to make his own inlet plenum, which isn't a problem. He does his own tig welding, and is a wiz at fabbing stuff.

We are just trying to decide weather to use this autorotor or just use an SC eaton M90.

See pics..

Bunch more pics of the Merkur SC swap here: http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c153/jacekp/SC 38 Project/

Including '04 Cobra T-56 bolted up to the SC engine and sitting in the engine bay.

Jeramie

Attachments

• autorotor.JPG
    autorotor.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 2,068
  • CossieBumper013.jpg
    CossieBumper013.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 913
Last edited:
Anyone??? I know that this will require more fabrication than just dropping in an M90, but I like the efficiency and the powerband provided by a twin screw better. I was going to get an MPX, but I do not like the idea of overdriving the piss out of the blower - it does exactly the opposite of what I need, with a big torque hit at the bottom fading in the upper RPMs. I need a little softer bottom end because the car is fairly light and I am limited in the size of the tire I can stuff in the back.
BTW, I'm the one doing the swap on my XR4Ti. The car is far from stock, I don't believe there will be a single piece of the original drivetrain left, so again, fabrication is not an issue for me.

*Update* found out the unit we have is a 1.33L, part number OA 3133.

My friend is putting a 3.8L SC engine in his Merkur XR4Ti and picked up this remanufactured autorotor for a reasonable price. It was originally part of a Chevy 454 v8 kit. It has a "whipple superchargers" sticker on the side, but says "Opcon - Autorotor 1.4" on the case

His engine will be identical to my engine, stock '95 bottom end, dr fred ported stock valve heads, and the infamous .520 212/218 cam..

The big question is, will this supercharger be any better than using a ported '95 M90 supercharger?? Also, how fast can it be spun? He will have a very nice front mount IC setup.

He will need to make his own inlet plenum, which isn't a problem. He does his own tig welding, and is a wiz at fabbing stuff.

We are just trying to decide weather to use this autorotor or just use an SC eaton M90.

See pics..

Bunch more pics of the Merkur SC swap here: http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c153/jacekp/SC 38 Project/

Including '04 Cobra T-56 bolted up to the SC engine and sitting in the engine bay.

Jeramie

I am not an expert by anymeans so I will just give an opinion. First the size you say it is seems very small for a 454 cu in engine. I would think a kit for a big block would be more on the order of 2.3 or more. That seems strange to me. The M90 is 1.5 so it marginally bigger but very inefficent. I would think the twin screw wouuld be better. I would do some in depth digging and try to get some numbers. I agree with Tom it sure fits well there and fabricating it to replace the M90 would be easier than one of the bigger blowers. Probably only a few guys around here have the experence to tell you if it will flow enought to meet your needs and maybe on of them will kick in here.

Ken

I guess you can give it a shot. If is a 1.33 it will move less air per turn. Since this is an SC block, you can expect about the same performance as others have had including the SC RPM Range.

Keep a spare intake setup for a m90 around, and do your fabbing with the other. thus you can get the car running with one or the other and see what you like.

At lower boost levels the twin screw doesn't do that much better than an M90. If you want to run a lot of boost the 1.3 isn't big enough. You'll end up overdriving it worse than an M90. At high altitude you should be looking at 2.0L minimum for maximum efficiency.

Thanks Dave, that's what I was afraid of... Oh well, I'll try to sell this one and look for a 2L Autorotor, Whipple 140AX or the older Whipple 2300AX. Or I'll give the MP1900 TVS another look. They're all in the same $2-2.5K range for the blower and snout.
I know the M90 is plug and play and I may just start with it while I iron out other swap kinks, but eventually I will put a twin screw in there :)

See, if I stuck with the 4 cylinder 2.3/16V project this blower would have been just about right, lol.

Thanks Dave, that's what I was afraid of... Oh well, I'll try to sell this one and look for a 2L Autorotor, Whipple 140AX or the older Whipple 2300AX. Or I'll give the MP1900 TVS another look. They're all in the same $2-2.5K range for the blower and snout.
I know the M90 is plug and play and I may just start with it while I iron out other swap kinks, but eventually I will put a twin screw in there :)

See, if I stuck with the 4 cylinder 2.3/16V project this blower would have been just about right, lol.

The 2.3 whipple can be installed but has a few mounting draw backs that need to be re enginnered do to its size. I would love to see how the 2.0 autorotor looks like installed. someone should post their 2.0 project up one day. I wasnt as impressed with the TVS. A twin screw is the way to go I beleive. If you looking for used there are very few out there as most people want to sell the kit that was used to install it on their vehicle.

Ken

I dont want to muddy up the thread, but if I were looking for one, I would bid 1999.99 on that one and ride it out. Im not sure what DD charges for his but I think all in all, I spent less than 2gs for my setup...but I still need a few things.

Chris

Back