Header wrap on stock cast manifolds?

rzimmerl

Just wondering who has done this and did it make a difference in the underhood temps. I have a set of 94 manifolds that I am porting and was either going to paint them or install header wrap and then coat with the recommended header wrap paint.

I had my ported stock manifolds wrapped for several years before getting the ceramic coated SCP midlength headers.

Worked very well. No cracking at all, and the wrapped stock manifolds kept more heat out of the engine bay than the ceramic coated headers do.

See pic, this was taken almost 3 years after wrapping.

Jeramie

Attachments

• manifolds.JPG
    manifolds.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 213
Just wondering who has done this and did it make a difference in the underhood temps. I have a set of 94 manifolds that I am porting and was either going to paint them or install header wrap and then coat with the recommended header wrap paint.

Question?

How much funds do you have? If your going to all the effort of removing them you should get kooks midlenght headers HPC coated. If your looking for performance gain porting stock exhaust manifold wont gain much wrapping them will help underhood temps. With all the time and effort removing porting and re-installing why not do it right its a bit more cash but well worth the HP gaines

Any idea how many feet of wrap it took, and any tips for installation? It looks like I'll wrap the back 2 tubes down. Then run another piece from the front tube then wrap it all the way down to the collector end in one piece making sure I cover the end of the wrap for the middle and end tube.

I paid $75 bucks for the manifolds, figure another $75 in wrap. This will save me about $500 over buying the Kooks Jet Hot coated midlengths from SCP.

Last edited:
I paid $75 bucks for the manifolds, figure another $75 in wrap. According to Dave's flow tests from a while back, the stock unported 94-95 manifolds flow close to the midlength headers. This will save me about $500 over buying the Kooks Jet Hot coated midlengths from SCP.

We been there done that

There is no way unported Sc headers will flow close to Kooks midlength tube headers but if thats your thought than you should do what. I think for all your time and effort why not do it to where you gain in performance not just underhood temp. You need the long tube headers like I have for best performance gain and better flowing exhaust

Last edited:
Any idea how many feet of wrap it took, and any tips for installation? It looks like I'll wrap the back 2 tubes down. Then run another piece from the front tube then wrap it all the way down to the collector end in one piece making sure I cover the end of the wrap for the middle and end tube.

I used less than one roll of header wrap. Really made a difference in the temps under the hood.

I also insulated the intercooled tubes as well, not too sure if that made a difference or not. But, I figured it would help keep the exaust heat from soaking into them and reheating the intercooled air. If you want to know more about that let me know.

...and here Dave's flow test results on the manifolds/headers for those interested
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...hlight=testing

If you SERIOUSLY think that stock ported or unported manifolds flow as well or nearly as well as kooks midlenghts I have a nioce bridge in broioklyn to sell you
Pablo had his manifolds wrapped and both cracked Not saying its a bad idea but I am unsure what variables may have caused his to crack and the others not to

I'm not getting it a debate about flow, I just have better things to spend $660 rather than a set of headers.

I just wanted to know who has done the wrap and the results.

I have used Thermotech in my other car and it works very well. It really drops the underhood temperature. You can even touch the exhaust manifold after driving for example two hours!:eek:

Remember moisten Thermotech before installing it!

Back