aode is aode or what

Shooter_Jay

Will an aode from a 95 tbird and an aode from and 99 f150 bolt right up? I know they are the same tranny, but what about splines, bolt patterns, output length, connectors etc.?

Last edited:
Actually the MN12's and F-150's have 4R70W's. Very similar to AOD-E but not the same. If the F150 is a V6 then they will bolt up but I don't know about different lengths.

Actually, I think the 4r70w is just the wide ratio gear set. I think the aode could be with or without the 4r70w and still be an aode. But that still doesn't answer the riddle at hand. And this f150 is a 4.6 v8.

There are slight other differences. 4r70w's used a larger diameter yoke. That is the easy way to identify one externally.
Alan

FYI, the reason I'm asking is my bro's old truck needs a tranny, and my yard ornament SC and his f150 supposedly both have the aode. I'm going to donate my old tranny for his old truck if they'll bolt up.

Everything I dig up says his truck has aode. What could be different to bolt up to make mine not bolt up.

SC trany will bolt up to a 3.8, 302 and a 351. 4.6 has difrent bell housing. so it wont bolt up to the motor.

FYI, the reason I'm asking is my bro's old truck needs a tranny, and my yard ornament SC and his f150 supposedly both have the aode. I'm going to donate my old tranny for his old truck if they'll bolt up.

Everything I dig up says his truck has aode. What could be different to bolt up to make mine not bolt up.

Trucks and mn-12's don't have aode's
Alan

SC trany will bolt up to a 3.8, 302 and a 351. 4.6 has difrent bell housing. so it wont bolt up to the motor.

Thanks.

Can someone else verify the bolt pattern being different? I have found clues that both vehicles could have the 4r70w.

Oh, here's some good info, looks like they might not bolt up, so I guess we don't know until we look, but I'm leaning towards not.

Edit: Oh wait, aode had the various stuff, but 4r70w doesn't mention variations...maybe it will work.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/056/article/Ford_Transmission_Spotters_Guide.html

Quoted from that link:

7. AODE Built from 1991 - An electronic/computer controlled AOD but with other improvements as well. - -
Came with wide and std gear ratios. Through 1995, same ratios as AOD, except 94-95 T-bird 94-95 F & E series trucks, -
95 full sized cars and 93-95 Linc.Mark VIII. 1996 and later are all wide ratio.
1992 only cars have AOD shift pattern (as above) with no OD cancel switch, otherwise shift pattern = P-R-N-OD-2-1
V6 equipped AODEs have one less clutch plate than V8 models.Can be modified to add the extra clutch plate.
Some trucks and possibly Lincolns have a 1 inch longer output shaft than Mustangs & other vehicles.
Some have larger output bushing. Casting mark = F3LP or F3UP. -
The smaller std bushing version has casting marks F2TP or E0AP -
Has more than one wire connecting to it versus AOD with only one. Has OD button on end of gear selector.
Various different bellhousing patterns used. You want this tranny. 4 thumbs up.

8. 4R70W 1994-up trucks w/ overdrive cancel switch and P-R-N-OD-2-1 can be 4R70W tranny.
F150 door tag trans code = U . This tranny is computer controlled.
Pan length just under 15". New and improved AODE.
Wide ratio AODE w different output shaft. Avoid the version used on V6s.

Oh, here's some good info, looks like they might not bolt up, so I guess we don't know until we look, but I'm leaning towards not.

Edit: Oh wait, aode had the various stuff, but 4r70w doesn't mention variations...maybe it will work.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/056/article/Ford_Transmission_Spotters_Guide.html

Quoted from that link:

7. AODE Built from 1991 - An electronic/computer controlled AOD but with other improvements as well. - -
Came with wide and std gear ratios. Through 1995, same ratios as AOD, except 94-95 T-bird 94-95 F & E series trucks, -
95 full sized cars and 93-95 Linc.Mark VIII. 1996 and later are all wide ratio.
1992 only cars have AOD shift pattern (as above) with no OD cancel switch, otherwise shift pattern = P-R-N-OD-2-1
V6 equipped AODEs have one less clutch plate than V8 models.Can be modified to add the extra clutch plate.
Some trucks and possibly Lincolns have a 1 inch longer output shaft than Mustangs & other vehicles.
Some have larger output bushing. Casting mark = F3LP or F3UP. -
The smaller std bushing version has casting marks F2TP or E0AP -
Has more than one wire connecting to it versus AOD with only one. Has OD button on end of gear selector.
Various different bellhousing patterns used. You want this tranny. 4 thumbs up.

8. 4R70W 1994-up trucks w/ overdrive cancel switch and P-R-N-OD-2-1 can be 4R70W tranny.
F150 door tag trans code = U . This tranny is computer controlled.
Pan length just under 15". New and improved AODE.
Wide ratio AODE w different output shaft. Avoid the version used on V6s.

No doubt about it. The modular motors (4.6, 5.4 and the V10) have a unique bellhousing pattern. 260, 289, 302 (aka 5.0), 351W (aka 5.8), and 3.8 have what is called the "small block ford" pattern. (aka SBF). This is common knowledge.
Since the AOD-E is so similar to the 4R70W, many articles refer to the 4R70W as an AOD-E with a wide ratio gear set. Not true. The 4R70W is a 4R70W and the AOD-E is an AOD-E.
The AOD-E was only used in some early 90's Panthers and Mustangs.

No doubt about it. The modular motors (4.6, 5.4 and the V10) have a unique bellhousing pattern. 260, 289, 302 (aka 5.0), 351W (aka 5.8), and 3.8 have what is called the "small block ford" pattern. (aka SBF). This is common knowledge.
Since the AOD-E is so similar to the 4R70W, many articles refer to the 4R70W as an AOD-E with a wide ratio gear set. Not true. The 4R70W is a 4R70W and the AOD-E is an AOD-E.
The AOD-E was only used in some early 90's Panthers and Mustangs.

So by what you say, my 3.8 SC and his 4.6 should have the same (sbf) output to the same input on the trannies. Does that include the shaft/spline pattern?

Now what about the trans output?

Edit: Oops, I see you already mentioned not being sure about the tail section. Thanks

So by what you say, my 3.8 SC and his 4.6 should have the same (sbf) output to the same input on the trannies.
No. I am talking about two different patterns.

1. SBF. 302, 351, 3.8, etc.
2. Modular. 4.6, 5.4, V10

A transmission with a modular bellhousing pattern will not fit your engine with a SBF pattern.

No. I am talking about two different patterns.

1. SBF. 302, 351, 3.8, etc.
2. Modular. 4.6, 5.4, V10

A transmission with a modular bellhousing pattern will not fit your engine with a SBF pattern.

Ah ok.

So the 4r70w could come in two different bell-housings then you are saying?

Ah ok.

So the 4r70w could come in two different bell-housings then you are saying?
That is correct. I think there are only two vehicles that have the 4R with the SBF pattern. One is the 94/95 SC. They were also put in some years of Explorers that had 5.0's but I am not sure what years used the 4R.

That is correct. I think there are only two vehicles that have the 4R with the SBF pattern. One is the 94/95 SC. They were also put in some years of Explorers that had 5.0's but I am not sure what years used the 4R.

Thanks again for the help.

They were also used in the 94-97 3.8L NA MN12's, as well as some of the pre-97 5.0L F-150s. I can't remember if the 3.8L NA SN95's received them or not.

-Rod

Don't forget 4.2L trucks and vans. Also the rare 5.0 liter trucks and vans with 4r70w's. I have never seen a truck with a 5.0 liter and 4r70w but they are supposed to exist. I have seen a van with one.
Alan

I have never seen a truck with a 5.0 liter and 4r70w but they are supposed to exist. I have seen a van with one.
Alan

frontwhitemaxsmall.jpg

You've seen one now. :D

Back