Console Idea....opinions please

talonhead

I have to notch the front of my console for the T56 shifter, had a couple of ideas...
Aluminum or stainless (brushed/polished) plate that would cover the rear portion of shifter opening and go up to the ashtray with a 1/4" or so wide strip going around the edge with a roll-over or "sharp" 90* into the opening (like OEM)...or....

A large plate that goes from the ashtray opening flaring out to full width and rolling out over both sides of console, stopping at the rise by the switch panel. Maybe continuing on the right side up and around the E-brake opening.
With this panel I was thinking about brushed alum or stainless, but they scratch easily. Wife suggested a black, high gloss powder coat. Then I added maybe a polished "SC", "Bird" or "bird w/SC" to the rear of the shifter opening.
Let me know your opinions. If you have pics of emblems, I would like to see them.

Thanks, MikeH

Last edited:
I have to notch the front of my console for the T56 shifter, had a couple of ideas...
Aluminum or stainless (brushed/polished) plate that would cover the rear portion of shifter opening and go up to the ashtray with a 1/4" or so wide strip going around the edge with a roll-over or "sharp" 90* into the opening (like OEM)...or....

A large plate that goes from the ashtray opening flaring out to full width and rolling out over both sides of console, stopping at the rise by the switch panel. Maybe continuing on the right side up and around the E-brake opening.
With this panel I was thinking about brushed alum or stainless, but they scratch easily. Wife suggested a black, high gloss powder coat. Then I added maybe a polished "SC", "Bird" or "bird w/SC" to the rear of the shifter opening.
Let me know your opinions. If you have pics of emblems, I would like to see them. Thanks, MikeH

Dont you have a leather shifter boot? That should allow you to move the shifter around a bit. if you are past what the boot will allow why not get an offset shifter lever to give you the correct reach. But I am not really sure where you are landing on the console with the lever but there are a ton of levers that are offset to align the trim opening with the transmission. Now if you are landing under the dash with the main stub then, no. I think plates and things would look tacky and out of place and I would advise against it unless you really have to, The only place I think you need a plate is on th tunnel opening . I and think if you realign the stock one it should give you back the the rubber boot where its supposed to be. then cover the gaps with sheet metal and insulation.

Thanks, MikeH[/QUOTE]

A stock t56 may have issues with the actual shifter level interfering with console.....Why I asked about GTO shifter

I would try to get an offset shift lever before getting too crazy. You'll want to check the throws as well, as it could be real irritating if your knuckles keep hitting the dash when you go into gear.

shifter

Am using a Hurst Billet Plus shifter. The GTO shifter would sit way to far back. I am going to make my own shifter handle to suit. but the pivot portion of the shifter base sits up higher than the OEM, as I had to notch the tunnel to allow the trans to come up into position without hitting the shifter base.
I plan to use the OEM boot and knob, just have to get the handle bent to the right shape to fit me. (Good thing they just bolt on).

What I wanted was opinions on a dress up plate to cover the needed mod and blend it into the decor (regardless of shifter used).

MikeH

you could allways just mold you a new top out of fiberglass. or you could just mold a new opening in to your old one and blend it in then paint it black or body color.

Back